England : West Yorkshire Forum ride in 2 parts from Hebden Bridge (64 km + 36 km), Sat 22nd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
That looks more like it!

Strava is coming up with some weird gradient data though ... For example, that Keb's Rd segment is way off. The road actually climbs just 27 m from 402 m to 429 m in about 0.5 km & 27m in 500 m = 5.4%. A bit different to 25%!
<<< Phew !! That had me worried whenn I 'walked' the route on line! I've done a 25% once before and failed!

We should have our travel plans finalised this weekend so I can give you a definite Yay or Nay too!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've been away for a couple of weeks and just seen this. It looks good, it would be nice to have a ride near to my "old stomping ground".
So I go and check the calender and we are in the area (visiting in laws) but won't be able to ride due to timings and all manner of family based shenanigans.
Sorry!

I have enjoyed coming on the couple of forum rides that I have done and would do more, as travel and other commitments allow.
I understand the frustrations that you and Steve (@totallyfixed ) have in getting people together. I don't know the answer. For me it's not the weather, you get wet on a bike, so what, it's only water. But I am busy and I guess so are a lot of other people and maybe it's just getting increasingly difficult to pin people down.
I used to play in a rock band and some months we wouldn't rehearse because everyone had other commitments (usually people away with work or family stuff).
Modern life is just more complicated I guess.
Good luck with the ride, it looks like a great route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode along Kebs Road this evening and came up behind another rider who had a very wobbly looking back wheel. I said hello and told him that it looked like a spoke had broken. He told me that he knew he had a problem but it wasn't a spoke - it was his tyre. He had been descending into one of the dips on the Long Causeway further down the road when there was a loud BANG! from the back of the bike. He had blown a 3 inch section of tube out.

I offered him one of my spares but he told me thanks, but it wouldn't do any good because the reason the tube blew was because the tyre had ripped open! He was riding a few miles on the ruined tyre to be picked up. He said that the wheel rim was 3/4 worn anyway so he wasn't too bothered if it got damaged, but he was being careful not to go too fast, for obvious reasons!

I thought I caught up with him rather easily. There was me thinking I had got really fit all of a sudden!

I've been away for a couple of weeks and just seen this. It looks good, it would be nice to have a ride near to my "old stomping ground".
So I go and check the calender and we are in the area (visiting in laws) but won't be able to ride due to timings and all manner of family based shenanigans.
Sorry!

I have enjoyed coming on the couple of forum rides that I have done and would do more, as travel and other commitments allow.
I understand the frustrations that you and Steve (@totallyfixed ) have in getting people together. I don't know the answer. For me it's not the weather, you get wet on a bike, so what, it's only water. But I am busy and I guess so are a lot of other people and maybe it's just getting increasingly difficult to pin people down.
I used to play in a rock band and some months we wouldn't rehearse because everyone had other commitments (usually people away with work or family stuff).
Modern life is just more complicated I guess.
Good luck with the ride, it looks like a great route.
Oh well, there will be other rides! I don't have one planned for September yet but I will arrange one once I know if one of my Scottish cousins is coming down with his bike. If he does, I will make it the weekend that he is here.

I know people are busy so I have started giving more notice of the rides but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'll just have to do the rides because I want to do them, and if anybody else wants to join me - great! If they don't/can't, fair enough ...

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'll just have to do the rides because I want to do them, and if anybody else wants to join me - great! If they don't/can't, fair enough ...
I think that's the best way to look at it. "I'm going for a ride, who fancies coming along" is probably the best way. I wonder if it is easier to get more involvement in some parts of the country than others?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I may have to use the big Mercedes Sprinter van. Does the car park have height restrictions at all? If it do whats a good alternative?
No problem. Streetview of it. A van would be ok, but you wouldn't get an HGV in there! (Well, you probably could, but you wouldn't be popular!)

If you pan the Streetview picture round to the left you will see a building site. Since that photo was taken a large new council building has been constructed adjacent to the old one (in case you get confused by it looking different).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It would be nice for a few more riders to join us ... :whistle:

If you would like to just do the 40 mile first loop - fine. If you would like to just do the second loop, let me know and we can arrange to meet in Hebden Bridge when we call in for our cafe stop about 2ish,

Buck

Guru
Well, I have the green light from SWMBO so if you don't mind someone who is a relative newbie and slow hill climber (yes I'm still quaking at the first climb out of Hebden Bridge) joining you I'd still love to come along.:smile: (I'd say I'm only up for the first part as I've not done a 40 miler yet let alone a 100Km!)

Is it just me, you and @rusty bearing at the moment?

PS I've asked my neighbour if he'd like to come along - he's v.interested but needs to check family diary etc.

so if you don't mind someone who is a relative newbie and slow hill climber

I can do slow, getting better at it all the time:dance:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I have the green light from SWMBO so if you don't mind someone who is a relative newbie and slow hill climber (yes I'm still quaking at the first climb out of Hebden Bridge) joining you I'd still love to come along.:smile: (I'd say I'm only up for the first part as I've not done a 40 miler yet let alone a 100Km!)
That's good - yes, come and give it a go!

If you find yourself really flagging, there is a shortcut back from Coldwell to Hebden Bridge which you could take. It starts off with a very steep climb which you would probably have to walk up, but the run back to Hebden Bridge from the summit is largely downhill or flat with just a couple of easy uphill sections to contend with.

This is the profile of the shortened loop. The section between the red dots is the shortcut. Before and after are on the original route.

Forum ride 22-08-15 loop1 with shortcut.jpg

Is it just me, you and @rusty bearing at the moment?

PS I've asked my neighbour if he'd like to come along - he's v.interested but needs to check family diary etc.
From CycleChat, yes.

Like you, I have invited people from outside CC, and I think one or two may join us but I won't know until Friday, or maybe even Saturday morning if they want to see what the weather is like.

Svendo

Guru
Hi Colin et al.

For the fist time on ages a CJ ride coincides with days off, possibly good weather and sufficient fitness! Assuming I don't annoy SWMBO I hope to be there too. I'll also be on my newly built road bike I hope so I can show that off. I know all the route pretty well so will happily help with route guiding etc on the day if need be.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin et al.

For the fist time on ages a CJ ride coincides with days off, possibly good weather and sufficient fitness! Assuming I don't annoy SWMBO I hope to be there too. I'll also be on my newly built road bike I hope so I can show that off. I know all the route pretty well so will happily help with route guiding etc on the day if need be.
Excellent news!

I have never known you unfit except after being knocked off your bike ... Uninjured is probably a more accurate description. :okay:

Can't make this ride chaps - working.
Oh well, see you on another ride in the future?

Top Bottom