England : West Yorkshire Forum ride in 2 parts from Hebden Bridge (64 km + 36 km), Sat 22nd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I'd like to join you but the weather is looking like rain all day Saturday. We will see.

Yes its called summer :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the forecast does not improve, then I have a bit of a dilemma on the clothing front - I have a heavy-duty rain jacket but it would be a bit warm for the forecast 15-18 degrees. My lighter jackets are not very waterproof ... :whistle:

The heavy jacket is bulky to take off and carry so if I start off wearing it then I am probably stuck with it for the day.

Perhaps I will wear a gilet with a light jacket over that, and carry arm warmers. They wouldn't stop the rain getting in but they should keep the wind out.

It looks like it might be a day to retrieve the overshoes from the winter clothing basket!

Hi Colin!
It's been ages and ages since I joined a cycle chat ride. Anyway I am free on Saturday so would like to do the first loop. I'm building back up my fitness so for this time its loop 1....

Your right about the changing weather. Today we have had sunshine but was supposed to have been raining.
KS

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin!
It's been ages and ages since I joined a cycle chat ride. Anyway I am free on Saturday so would like to do the first loop. I'm building back up my fitness so for this time its loop 1....

Your right about the changing weather. Today we have had sunshine but was supposed to have been raining.
KS
Super! :hello:

I was looking at the simulated satellite pictures for Saturday on the Ch4 forecast this evening and the big band of rain expected runs SW-NE across Lancashire and into West Yorkshire, but only just over the area in which we will be riding. If it shifted another 20 miles to the NW then we would miss most of it, so fingers crossed, eh?

Let's make a note of who is riding (or who might be) ...
  • ColinJ
  • Buck (+neighbour?)
  • rusty bearing
  • Svendo
  • bigjim? (raincheck!)
  • kiwi-Sal
  • (non-CC) My pal Carrie (+ possibly a pal of hers named Kevin?) - probably meeting us at Oxenhope unless Kevin drives them over
So, I make that 6-9 riders, which is a reasonable number.

Don't forget to check in to this thread on Friday night for any final updates!

Buck

Guru
Colin - I'm still up for this unless it's monsoon conditions (I don't mind a bit of rain :smile:)

My neighbour can't make it (well, he's been told by his good lady that he can't :biggrin:) so just me from over this way!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is currently looking like a dryish start with possible heavier rain on the way back to Hebden Bridge, which is the way round that I would choose. If conditions are really horrid later, then maybe skip the second leg?

I will check this thread before leaving the house. If anybody on the list decides not to come, post below so we know not to wait for you.

@Svendo - if you would like to do your pursuit thing rather than meet us at the start ... we aim to set off 10ish and I expect that we would get to the summit of Cock Hill between 10:35 and 10:45.

We will be making a few twists and turns that are not on the obvious route so take note of them. If I remember, I will post my GPX file when I am at my laptop rather than using my tablet computer.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here are the GPX files ...

(Attached)

I have shown the second loop going out and returning on the Calder Valley Greenway but I think we will go out on the A646, and maybe come back on the Greenway.

Attachments

• forum ride 64 km Trawden Causeway loop 22-08-15.gpx
    24.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Forum ride 36 km CV loop 22-08-15.gpx
    13 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Carrie and Kevin have now confirmed. They are only going to do the first loop though.

Riders ...
  • ColinJ
  • Buck
  • rusty bearing
  • Svendo
  • bigjim? (Last minute raincheck?)
  • kiwi-Sal
  • (non-CC) Carrie and Kevin
Carrrie and Kevin are aiming to be at Oxenhope station by 10:45. I said that we should get over there at about 10:55-11:00. I will turn up at the car park in HB at 09:45 - 09:50-ish.

I have tel. numbers for Svendo and kiwi-Sal from previous rides (assuming that they are still the same). If any of the rest of you on the list want to exchange phone numbers, PM me.

POST BELOW IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT COMING! (I'll check immediately before setting off tomorrow.)

See you in the morning! :hello:

Top Bottom