England : Lancashire Forum ride/Mini-Northwest passage audax, Rochdale, Sat 20th Feb 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Got the all clear from SWMBO.
Entry booked, so I'll see you at the start.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Can't say I'd be too keen on riding round in heavy rains and a howling gale......

Done too much of that on the commute so far this year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't want to let anyone down by not turning up, but ... I don't want to ride in those conditions either! I will make a final decision on Friday evening.

(I would be virtually riding past my house on the way out. Getting up at 06:30 to set off at 07:30 to ride to Rochdale and probably get soaked, fight my way back to where I started from and then carry on for another 6 hours or so would be somewhat dispiriting! :laugh:)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The forecast isn't getting any better - heavy rain all day, strong winds with very strong gusts, feeling very chilly ... I would not enjoy riding on a day like that, so for that reason ... I am out! (Or actually, I will NOT be out! :okay:)

I might do a 100 km ride from Todmorden to Waddington next weekend if we get better conditions. If so, I'll post below in case any of you fancy joining me.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Suspect I too will chicken out....
Might get up early tomorrow and see how it feels; seeing as how I've already paid....can't help it, I'm always going to be a Yorkshireman. :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Suspect I too will chicken out....
Might get up early tomorrow and see how it feels; seeing as how I've already paid....can't help it, I'm always going to be a Yorkshireman. :smile:
I'm only an honorary one so it doesn't apply to me. :okay:

My test is this: Would I pay £6.50 to avoid getting out of bed early on a cold, wet and windy February morning and having buckets of water chucked over me for the next 8 hours? Answer: YES! :laugh:

Ha ha, very humorously put Colin, and as you know, my thoughts entirely.

I've given up on hoping for even half decent weather for a full day ride this winter. But to anybody who is still doing Mini NWP having seen the very grim weather forecast - good luck and watch out for folk in white coats.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, the forecast was right ... I was woken up at about 07:30 by the sound of the wind howling. I looked out of the window and it was raining heavily. It is still like that now. I am glad to be indoors and will be getting my pedalling done on my gym bike in the warm and dry!

I reckon about 50% of those who signed up for the event will be fellow DNSers.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well, the forecast was right ... I was woken up at about 07:30 by the sound of the wind howling. I looked out of the window and it was raining heavily. It is still like that now. I am glad to be indoors and will be getting my pedalling done on my gym bike in the warm and dry!

I reckon about 50% of those who signed up for the event will be fellow DNSers.
Yeah I bottled out too. Woke up and heard the rain bouncing off the roof, and the wind howling.... Rolled over and went back to sleep.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yeah I bottled out too. Woke up and heard the rain bouncing off the roof, and the wind howling.... Rolled over and went back to sleep.
Ha ha - I was wondering whether you would be 'keen' enough to do it!

I haven't even been able to bring myself to go to the shops but I have run out of milk so I think I had better don my raincoat and get on with it. Waiting for a break in the rain appears to be a tad optimistic!

Top Bottom