Found bike - what's the legal situation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I found a bike abandoned in the river, which runs behind my neighbour's property. I took it to the Police who kept it for a month and I'm sure made absolutely no effort at all to check for reports of similar bikes being stolen. After 1 month they gave it back to me and having spent some time and money sorting it out I am about to test ride it.

What happens if somebody waltzes up and claims it to be his stolen bike? If he was able to prove it beyond doubt with a frame number I don't think I'd be able to keep it, would I? I have spent time and cash on it so I would insist on being reimbursed for that at least before handing it over.

papercorn2000

It would have been entered on the Police National Computer's record of found or stolen goods - it would be quite effectively reunited with the owner had the frame numbers been registered (and the bike was reported as missing). Its is amazing the amount of stuff which is handed in to police offices and cannot be reunited with any owners. There are regular auctions of this stuff.

(The lesson is to note any identifying marks on any stuff you have that is worth anything - and keep a record of them!)

As the previous owner had plenty of time to make enquiries as to his lost bike and didn't seem to bother his backside, it reverts to you - under the Finders Keepers Act (1854).

PaulB

Legendary Member
You live near me, don't you? Well that's my bike, that is. I lost it on a river bank and think it fell in. Give it back you Robin Basket.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
papercorn2000 said:
It would have been entered on the Police National Computer's record of found or stolen goods - it would be quite effectively reunited with the owner had the frame numbers been registered (and the bike was reported as missing). Its is amazing the amount of stuff which is handed in to police offices and cannot be reunited with any owners. There are regular auctions of this stuff.

(The lesson is to note any identifying marks on any stuff you have that is worth anything - and keep a recoed of them!)

The clerk didn't want to note the frame number when I handed it in - she would have written just "bicycle" if I hadn't told her the make and colour and frame material as well as the approximate value. These details along with my name and address and the place of finding were simply noted in a big ledger at the front desk and the clerk told me it would be thrown in the shed around the back with the hundreds of other recovered bikes. It was wheeled away and that was the end of it. I can't believe anybody subsequently copied that information onto the PNC, they simply don't bother for stolen bicycles.

gbb

Legendary Member
They stopped allowing the finder to keep the item after 'x' amount of time here a long time ago...
All bikes (AFAIK) now go to auction.

col

Legendary Member
I wouldnt worry, its legally yours, all proper procedures have been followed.

surfgurl

My husband found a bike last year. We live in the town centre and the bike had been leant against the wall next to a shop, opposite the house since first thing Saturday morning. By 8pm it was still there, still not locked up. As we are on the route home from the pubs my husband took it into the house for safekeeping and left a note taped to the wall with his phone number on it.
The next morning he took it to the Police Station who dutifully took down the details - yellow adult sized mountain bike. The Police Officer said my husband would have to take it away with him, as they had no space to store it. They said my husband would be contacted if anyone reported it missing and claimed it, if not in 6 weeks he could legally keep it.

papercorn2000

Rigid Raider said:
The clerk didn't want to note the frame number when I handed it in - she would have written just "bicycle" if I hadn't told her the make and colour and frame material as well as the approximate value. These details along with my name and address and the place of finding were simply noted in a big ledger at the front desk and the clerk told me it would be thrown in the shed around the back with the hundreds of other recovered bikes. It was wheeled away and that was the end of it. I can't believe anybody subsequently copied that information onto the PNC, they simply don't bother for stolen bicycles.

Oh well, I can only comment on procedure with Strathclyde polis. The finest police force in, errr, Strathclyde.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Does the bike have any distinguishing marks that would make it identifiable from a distance? And maybe keep a record of what you do to the bike. I suspect if they haven't bothered in the first place that they have just claimed on the insurance.

papercorn2000

They would still need to report it missing if they were to claim their insurance. But then if RR is correct, there's precious little chance of reuniting the bike and its owner - even if it were reported.

Top Bottom