Found some evidence among a pile of litter - any point in reporting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm wondering what to do. I'm just back from a spot of litter picking along a verge near my village. It's a lovely spot, spoilt only by motons who dump all kinds of crap out of their car windows.

Anyway, among one pile of litter, I've just found screwed up, 4 payslips with the half-wit's name, lorry company name, NI and salary details, a couple of bank slips and other bits and bobs. It has clearly been lobbed out of a vehicle by someone who I can only presume is quite spectacularly stupid.

It's so rare to find anything like this and I'm wondering whether I'd be wasting my local authority's time by reporting it. I get so completely fed up of all the fly tipping/ littering I'd love to get one of these thunderc@nts get the book town at them. Any thoughts welcome.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Try calling Environmental Health. But I bet they'll want to know if you witnessed the idiocy.

If that doesn't work, bundle it all up and send it to the company with a note of the location.

Tim Hall

I'm wondering what to do. I'm just back from a spot of litter picking along a verge near my village. It's a lovely spot, spoilt only by motons who dump all kinds of crap out of their car windows.

Anyway, among one pile of litter, I've just found screwed up, 4 payslips with the half-wit's name, lorry company name, NI and salary details, a couple of bank slips and other bits and bobs. It has clearly been lobbed out of a vehicle by someone who I can only presume is quite spectacularly stupid.

It's so rare to find anything like this and I'm wondering whether I'd be wasting my local authority's time by reporting it. I get so completely fed up of all the fly tipping/ littering I'd love to get one of these thunderc@nts get the book town at them. Any thoughts welcome.
Sell the details to a scammer. It's only fair.

Actually yes, I'd report them, but then I favour birching for fly tippers, wooly, softy liberal that I am.

Venod

Eh up
I have on several occasions sent details to the council of stuff I have found with identification among flytipping debris, I don't know if they follow it up or not, but it makes me feel better and if they don't have it they can't use it.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Try calling Environmental Health. But I bet they'll want to know if you witnessed the idiocy.

If that doesn't work, bundle it all up and send it to the company with a note of the location.

I didnt witness it sadly. They all drive past like little angels (albeit at about 90mph) when they know they might be spotted. Contacting thecompany isnt a bad idea if I get nowhere with the LA.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
How do you know the "halfwit" deliberately discarded it?

Put it this way, I dont think he'll be troubling the good folks at MENSA anytime soon.
Its possible, tiny chance, I guess they could have blown out of the vehicle through an open window - though they were all scrumpled up together- either way its still littering AFAIC

Tim Hall

Wasnt their a case recently where a fly tipper received a hefty fine as they found his address in the rubbish ?
Yes. An RAF bod in Lincolnshire who claimed he didn't realise it was an offence. Linky

Whole host of reasons. The refuse collection near us often has stuff streaming out of the back. Foxes seem to like taking things with them.

It's almost certainly been dumped but it's hard to convict on 'almost certainty'

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Whole host of reasons. The refuse collection near us often has stuff streaming out of the back. Foxes seem to like taking things with them.

It's almost certainly been dumped but it's hard to convict on 'almost certainty'

Yes thats very true and I guess is partly why I was wondering whether it is worth reporting. There is a colossal amount of rubbish that gets lobbed into the verges hereabouts and it's very frustrating when nothing gets done- or seemingly can't be done about it.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 4141333, member: 9609"]an unfriendly neighbour could have taken it from his wheelie bin and dumped it in the countryside in a bid to get him in trouble, and that's why we shouldn't jump to conclusions, just because he drives a truck does not necessarily mean he is a bad person - some really good people drive trucks, some are obsessed with all things environmental and many go bird watching, some love the countryside and like cycling through it..[/QUOTE]
D'you know any drivers like that then? :laugh:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I called the council just now, and the fly tipping guy is not back until Monday, but his colleague did think he would want to follow it up even though it's unlikely they'd be able to take much further.

They said in such cases it is best to leave such evidence in- situ for them to look though should it go to court. I suspect it would have blown away in this case which is why I'd picked it up, but at least she said they now have a name, so should it crop up again there'd be a 'history' and they might want to have a word with him anyway.

Lonestar

Veteran
I nearly got done by an incident like this.Was moving house so left a relatively new spin dryer in my rubbish but the box had my name and address on it.I don't normally miss stuff like this but this time I did.Someone nicked the box with the spinner and dumped the box round the corner.Council got hold of it and I was accused of fly tipping.Somehow I got away with it as the incident happened three days after I left the property.

Remember I had to go for an interview at the Council offices which was particularly gruesome but must admit the officer dealing with me was fair and yes I did cycle there.I also did have video evidence of people rifling my rubbish just before I left but don't know if this had any relevance on the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom