Fraud advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
To track it they'd need to know the serial and the IMEI numbers. Impossible to know before you've seen the box.

Can't see DPD, or any major delivery company, knowingly delivering stolen items.
If it was bought via Apple it's easy enough to do using Apple ID and iCloud. Apple store require Apple ID and everything linked.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
UPDATE

It has all changed this morning!

My wife’s credit card has been compromised with £1099 payment. It’s taken 4 days to hit the card.

HSBC have cancelled the card and put us in touch with the company who sent the phone.

We are in the process of returning it.
It’s quite a relief actually to know what happened.

We’re a bit annoyed that the card company processed the payment with the wrong first name.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
UPDATE

My wife’s credit card has been compromised with £1099 payment. It’s taken 4 days to hit the card.

HSBC have cancelled the card and put us in touch with the company who sent the phone.

We’re a bit annoyed that the card company processed the payment with the wrong first name.

oh good, fingers crossed. Yes that's very bad of the card company. My only experience was the other way around, where I'd used my card legitimately but they stopped it because they were worried it wasn't me using it

tom73

Guru
oh good, fingers crossed. Yes that's very bad of the card company. My only experience was the other way around, where I'd used my card legitimately but they stopped it because they were worried it wasn't me using it

I've had that too more than once I've had a phone call to confirm it me as it was out side my normal day to day use.

UPDATE

HSBC need to do more than that, they need to treat that transaction as fradulent and refund the money. Or are they already doing that?

If they've suggested you need to return the phone for a refund thats just wrong!

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
HSBC need to do more than that, they need to treat that transaction as fradulent and refund the money. Or are they already doing that?

If they've suggested you need to return the phone for a refund thats just wrong!

HSBC cancelled the other small transactions. They will also cancel the iPhone charge but if we can secure a full refund, then no one suffers.

HSBC cancelled the other small transactions. They will also cancel the iPhone charge but if we can secure a full refund, then no one suffers.
If it's cancelled and they've refunded you then all good, just let the company know you have a unsoliciated delivery of theirs and ask when do they want to come get it.

As a tip for the future if HSBC have an app you can often enable 2FA so you need to open the app and authorise transactions, you can normally apply different limits to that e.g. all online trans, all trans over £500 etc

I've had to report trans as fraud occasionally, not HSBC but the process is normally the same.

Drago

Legendary Member

The should refund, and promptly at that. HSBC are the victims here, not you, and unless you've been grossly negligent (which I'm sure you havent) they should not be attempting to foist their losses upon an innocent 3rd party.

I expect they'll do the right thing, and quickly at that, but keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The should refund, and promptly at that. HSBC are the victims here, not you, and unless you've been grossly negligent (which I'm sure you havent) they should not be attempting to foist their losses upon an innocent 3rd party.

I expect they'll do the right thing, and quickly at that, but keep an eye on it.

We actually got a double refund.
HSBC refunded us. Then Apple sent us £1100 too when we returned the phone.
We did the right thing and told them.

Top Bottom