Fred Whitton or C2C in a day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I need to start making plans for next year’s challenge. I have a place on the C2C in a day Sportive with my club, I have my accommodation booked (though not paid for) and the event paid for but it’s all adding up to quite a layout when you add the coach fares and some other hassles. So I thought Fred Whitton might be better, similar climbing and a tough event but I can take the wife and spend a week in the Lakes as well so a bonus.

Just a quick question, as a 1st timer on the FWC is it tough to get a place on?

I would do the Fred Whitton. In my opinion it is far harder (although it would depend on the C2C route)

The Fred Whitton "only" has 10000ft of climbing, but with it being about 40 miles shorter than your c2c route, it has a lot more steep stuff! I think I have solved the problem for you though, do both!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I live in the area and have done the FW. In my opinion you would be better off to do the four seasons on a nice warm summers day and enjoy it!
Getting into the FW is now done by lottery so there is no favouritism or places for 1st timers. I know a lot of local lads who were first timers who didn't get in last year. Having said that the organiser has told me in the past that he gets lots of cancellations and it is possible to get a last minute place.
Also there's the fact that it's on public roads, but I'll not go there......

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I did the C2C in a day this year, and without doubt the best organized event i have been on , along with great route and feed stations it would be the one for me.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
I live in the area and have done the FW. In my opinion you would be better off to do the four seasons on a nice warm summers day and enjoy it!
Getting into the FW is now done by lottery so there is no favouritism or places for 1st timers. I know a lot of local lads who were first timers who didn't get in last year. Having said that the organiser has told me in the past that he gets lots of cancellations and it is possible to get a last minute place.
Also there's the fact that it's on public roads, but I'll not go there......

500 places go to 1st timers as was this year to my knowledge. I thought about the £250 for charity but then found out you have to pay the £250 upfront and then get the money back through people sponsoring which I am sure is common but I've not come across it before. Will keep my fingers crossed but I've got the c2c anyway.

Top Bottom