French trip - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ergle

Über Member
Hi - I'm off to France in a week or so, the plan is to ride from Caen to Avignon, cycle camping. I've attached an image of the route - basically as near a straight line to Avignon using minor roads as I can make it - with a few detours near the end based on advice from CTC route sheets.
I would appreciate any comments on the route from anyone who's cycled nearby. Forgive me for the rubbish quality of the image - I've seen much better on this board but have no idea how to make the computer do it!

moz-screenshot.jpg

dragon72

Guru
My concern would be that it might be a little dull and flat. Maybe it's by design, but you seem to miss out on the Massif Central. I've heard it's tremendous. But it looks like you're travelling from A to B (or should I say C to A!) as quickly as poss, so you may not have the time for mountains.

Once you hit Clermont Ferand, I don't think you'll worry too much about 'flat' bits...:whistle:

Edit:
Have you tried composing a viamichelin map, using their cycling facility? It does it in 200km chunks maximum, and it is possible to select the 'scenic' option. What that means - who knows?

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

After Orleans roughly follow the Loire down to Le Puy en Velay. From there pass through the western side of the Ardeche and the east of the Cevennes to Uzes, before heading to Avignon (my favourite French city). Don't forget the Pont du Gard just before Avignon.

Crankarm

Guru
From around Clermont I wouldn't have said your route is particularly flat. In fact it can be bloody hilly around there and also down into the Ardeche dropping down into Avignon. The heat can also be relentless. Try and see Vallon Pont D'Arc. There are a few nice campsites around there although these might be fairly packed it being school holidays and peak season. The D979 from Vallon down to Uzes is a classic. Although cycling the Ardeche Gorges is a must as it is an area of outstanding natural beauty. The jewel is the Pont D'Arc where you could catch up on some RnR do some bathing although again the Pont D'Arc may be very busy as it is a honey pot for canoeists and families. Lovely countryside though. Can be very very hot with little shade.

Here's a link if you have not already researched the Ardeche.

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/ardeche-holidays/ardeche/index.html

Bon route.

Top Bottom