Friday 11 September run out to watch Tour of Britain in Peak District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Is there actually much to see? The commentators on the telly often struggle to identify the riders and I suspect they wont slow down for autographs. Watching from the roadside always appears a bit pointless. I guess that I'm missing something?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Tour de France was a memorable sight for the brief few seconds the peloton hammered past my vantage point in north Yorkshire.

And there's the caravan to watch, and in the case of the tour, cyclists could chase after the pros before the road was open to traffic.

But I agree with much of what you say and would regard catching the pro race as a bonus of the ride, rather than the main attraction.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is there actually much to see? The commentators on the telly often struggle to identify the riders and I suspect they wont slow down for autographs. Watching from the roadside always appears a bit pointless. I guess that I'm missing something?

I guess go along and watch a big race like this. If you don't enjoy it all it's cost you is a bit of time.

FWIW the first big race I went to watch was this one 3 years ago, since then I've gone to watch all the big races local to me like the TdF and TdY. Of course you don't get the same viewing experience as watching the telly but you get something else. Turning up half an hour before on the climb, climbing past all the folk walking up the hill. Then the buzz of anticipation as news starts to get out about the breakaway. Then you start to hear the TV helicopter as they approach. Then the motorcade. People start to push in a bit, narrowing the road. Shouting and cheering the leaders. Claustrophobic. Ride home. Good day out

I drank more mojitos that humanely possible in the past two weeks. My calendar is a bit screwed up, it's a week Friday.

Always sunny in the Peak District anyway, as you well know. Unlike rainy Brighton
If you can mistake a 'j' for an 'h' at the outset, it's no surprise that a week is mere frippery. Re: the 'racing'
If you don't enjoy it all it's cost you is a bit of time.
= perfect.
Often in Paris, it was important to get to a café on the circuit, for a bit to eat, thereby qualifying you for a seat for the duration (and dear beer)...unless you venture to Norwegian Corner, where it is always a mad dash between the bar, the table, the railings, back again and the free shirts being thrown to the masses within. As usual, the only way to gauge the speed of the peloton is to watch the spare bikes whizz by on top of the team cars...and by that time - it's not important.
Be absorbed in the moment G3CWI (change that forum name by the way - even nickyboy changed his from Ollie to Stan, to make it easier for folk on here...)
It's fun. Have fun! :smile:

KneesUp

Guru
So this is either this coming Friday, or a fortnight last Wednesday since.

The weather forecast for Hathersage is looking decent:

hathersage weather.png

And assuming I can get the painting done by then, I shall be somewhere on the climb out of Hathersage. Anyone else?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So this is either this coming Friday, or a fortnight last Wednesday since.

The weather forecast for Hathersage is looking decent:

View attachment 102999

And assuming I can get the painting done by then, I shall be somewhere on the climb out of Hathersage. Anyone else?

Yes, looks good doesn't it. I'll also be on the climb out of Hathersage somewhere. Btwin top and Btwin bike. If you see me come and say hello.

KneesUp

Guru
Yes, looks good doesn't it. I'll also be on the climb out of Hathersage somewhere. Btwin top and Btwin bike. If you see me come and say hello.
Will do - I'll be wearing, er, whatever is clean, and will have a blue drop-bar mountain bike.

NorvernRob

Really disappointed I can't make this, Fox House (the top of Surprise Climb which is the one out of Hathersage) is only 12 miles from my house but I can't get the day off work. Typical that it's my long weekend off sat/sun/mon instead!

Plus my wife is pregnant and due on Monday the 14th, so it could have ended in a furious dash back home!

KneesUp

Guru
What sort of crowds are there, @ColinJ (or anyone else who has been to watch) - I've not seen any on tv. I see from the stage guide that they're not expecting the lead cars at Harthsage until 12:24 - this means I probably should go to work for a bit first. I can then drive up to Ringinglow, get the bike out of the boot and scoot across to Fox House. However, if it's going to be rammed I could go earlier (or go somewhere else).

@nickyboy are you still going?

Top Bottom