Friday 11 September run out to watch Tour of Britain in Peak District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm riding over The Cat and Fiddle with a couple of mates to watch it on Long Hill. Suspect there may be a break early on so the sprint in Buxton will probably be a bit of a damp squib. I'll probably be proved wrong though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There were closures at both ends of the road leading to the KoM I went to on Monday so people parked elsewhere and walked or cycled up or down the hill to get to their vantage points.

We got there an hour early and there were not many people about then but lots of people turned up later. It wasn't crazy like it was for the TdF last year, but it was well supported.

KneesUp

Guru
There were closures at both ends of the road leading to the KoM I went to on Monday so people parked elsewhere and walked or cycled up or down the hill to get to their vantage points.

We got there an hour early and there were not many people about then but lots of people turned up later. It wasn't crazy like it was for the TdF last year, but it was well supported.
Maybe I won't go to work first then :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe I won't go to work first then :smile:
I went with a mate to watch the Kellogg's Tour go up Holme Moss once. The road was closed a couple of miles before Holme village so we had to park and run to the race route. We only just got there when the peloton rode by!

Another year, I went to watch the race go over the Nick o' Pendle and got there too late.

If you are going to make the effort to go, get there in plenty of time and soak up the atmosphere. Check the weather forecast though because you could be standing around for a long time and it would not be much fun if you got soaked and cold. (I had the opposite problem on Monday - I was dressed for cool, cloudy conditions and it turned out hot and sunny.)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What sort of crowds are there, @ColinJ (or anyone else who has been to watch) - I've not seen any on tv. I see from the stage guide that they're not expecting the lead cars at Harthsage until 12:24 - this means I probably should go to work for a bit first. I can then drive up to Ringinglow, get the bike out of the boot and scoot across to Fox House. However, if it's going to be rammed I could go earlier (or go somewhere else).

@nickyboy are you still going?

Yes I'm still going. I'm probably going to do a bit of a ride around Rivelin and Ringinglow from Glossop, then start the descent into Hathersage and find a decent spot there. I've been to the ToB a couple of times in recent years. I think it's fair to say the crowds aren't enormous like TdF but there should be plenty of folk there as it's close to Sheffield and not far from Manchester

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm riding over The Cat and Fiddle with a couple of mates to watch it on Long Hill. Suspect there may be a break early on so the sprint in Buxton will probably be a bit of a damp squib. I'll probably be proved wrong though.

I've got a KoM on the Long Hill descent so I'm hoping they soft-pedal it down but I can't see it. Tailwind too.....goodbye KoM I fear

Off for a nice ride around, ending up on the Surprise climb out of Hathersage. Headwind over the Snake out which is a pain but should be nice and fast back. I'll post up some photos on the Ride Today thread later

You doing the man's route to Long Hill (down the Goyt then up that 'orrible climb up to top of Long Hill) or the easy way into Buxton? Don't like that climb out of the Goyt at all

Hacienda71

I've got a KoM on the Long Hill descent so I'm hoping they soft-pedal it down but I can't see it. Tailwind too.....goodbye KoM I fear

Off for a nice ride around, ending up on the Surprise climb out of Hathersage. Headwind over the Snake out which is a pain but should be nice and fast back. I'll post up some photos on the Ride Today thread later

You doing the man's route to Long Hill (down the Goyt then up that 'orrible climb up to top of Long Hill) or the easy way into Buxton? Don't like that climb out of the Goyt at all
Avoiding the climb out of the Goyt today. It is dead straight, steep and long. It forms the end part of a Strava segment called a Masochists Delight where yo go up Blaze Hill then Pyms Chair and the Goyts Lane. I did it with 400bhp last summer. Once was enough. :blush: The climb over the Cat will be bad enough with the headwind today.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Avoiding the climb out of the Goyt today. It is dead straight, steep and long. It forms the end part of a Strava segment called a Masochists Delight where yo go up Blaze Hill then Pyms Chair and the Goyts Lane. I did it with 400bhp last summer. Once was enough. :blush: The climb over the Cat will be bad enough with the headwind today.

Likewise the Snake Pass climb this morning was a miserable grovel. Bloody fast descending back to Glossop this afternoon though :okay:

Hacienda71

Likewise the Snake Pass climb this morning was a miserable grovel. Bloody fast descending back to Glossop this afternoon though :okay:
My mate and I inadvertently got into a race with two of the GB squad going down Long Hill. We had hammered it past them and I was a bit surprised when one of them came back past me doing about 45 sitting in a full aero tuck on his crossbar, well what is one to do. Yep take him back and spin out the 53:11 as the road flattened out. Can't have these young upstarts thinking they rule the road. Lol

Top Bottom