FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Cambridge - 14th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
It must be a McBagel, although I didn't know they did them.

Perhaps bagels aren't sold in the frozen north where we are more suspicious of funny foreign food.

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/p...kfast.136.sausage-egg-cheese-bagel.html#close
You are quite right about the (Mc)bagel, but it was the plug of bright yellow rubbery material in the centre that shocked me most. It was clearly 'cheese' in McDonalds parlance but had the texture of playdough and no discernable flavour. It is quite beyond me why anyone would choose to serve or eat* this sh!te .

(*ignorance and night cycle rides excluded)

robjh

Legendary Member
I stopped at a cash machine at Victoria just before meeting you, which had a blob of that stuff on it.
We squirted something similar round the edges of our shower to waterproof it.

robjh

Legendary Member
......The alternative breakfast at Michaelhouse Café was very good - no beans in a poncy container, true, but then again no (what looks like) raw tomato either, and the portions of scrambled egg were more generous too. Not enough room for all of us there though, and the bike parking was a saga in itself ...
we look forward.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You are quite right about the (Mc)bagel, but it was the plug of bright yellow rubbery material in the centre that shocked me most. It was clearly 'cheese' in McDonalds parlance but had the texture of playdough and no discernable flavour. It is quite beyond me why anyone would choose to serve or eat* this sh!te .

(*ignorance and night cycle rides excluded)
The 'dessert' items are better. Even then the doughnuts and muffins etc still come shrink-wrapped. Every time there's an alternative option on FNRs I'll take it!

robjh

Legendary Member
That was another really enjoyable Fridays' ride. A big thanks to @Flying Dodo for leading and organising, and for all the preparation work that goes on to make the ride run so smoothly on the night. OK, so both of the food stops were memorable for the wrong reasons, but that is all part of the rich tapestry of experiences that are the FNRttC, and we will laugh in years to come. The Grain and Hop store gets first prizes for location and bike parking, but could be improved if they really did do breakfasts rather than just the promise of breakfast.
I made quite a long day out of it in all. I thought it would be a nice idea to ride down from home, near Cambridge, to London in the daylight, and so it was, but with night falling quite early now it meant setting out at 3.30 on Friday, and I then hit rush-hour traffic from Enfield onwards. It also left me with a lot of time to kill, which I split between a Turkish restaurant in Tottenham (v. good food), seeing the lights from Primrose Hill, and loitering round Trafalgar Square watching a busking band, before heading to Victoria to wait for others at around 10 o'clock. I'm starting to think that riding down before the ride may be more of a summer thing.
The ride itself went very smoothly, and it seemed like no time from the partying hordes of Shoreditch to the dark glades of Epping Forest, and then the real darkness of the lanes in deepest Essex. There was the finest drizzle, no more, and although we missed any moonlight or stars, conversely the cloud cover kept the temperatures mild, and only on exiting McD at Stansted at 6am did the cold bite very much. I glanced wistfully to my left as we approached the Sawston roundabout, as we passed only about a mile from my bed, but the lure of breakfast(!) spurred me on. I took a few people on a lightning mini-tour of central Cambridge while we waited for the breakfast venue to open, and then hung around to enjoy the banter over beer and coffee, with or without food.
My ride wasn't quite over - I set off for home and was intercepted by Mrs rjh and my father en route and ended up shopping and dogwalking before finally getting back at 2.30 pm, just 23 hours after starting.
My pictures weren't great, but here is a taste of them
20161015 London Cambridge ride (1).JPG
20161015 London Cambridge ride (2).JPG

20161015 London Cambridge ride (4).JPG
20161015 London Cambridge ride (5).JPG

Top Bottom