FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mosquito bikes is permanently closed until further notice. I can have a look at Cadence but they are a bit too south the river, closest place to me is BespokeCycles for 200 notes.
Gresham Street, Jermyn Street and Canary Wharf? I would, without further information, assume that would be one of the most expensive places in the world to get a fit done.

Reactions: srw
£295 will get you a full 2.5 hour fitting with one of the two founders/directors of Cyclefit (Covent Garden), who virtually founded the whole bike fit industry in the UK. Everybody else is cheaper and/or nowhere near as good as they are. YMMV.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
£295 will get you a full 2.5 hour fitting with one of the two founders/directors of Cyclefit (Covent Garden), who virtually founded the whole bike fit industry in the UK. Everybody else is cheaper and/or nowhere near as good as they are. YMMV.

I was about to link cyclefit myself - £120 per hour if you require extra time/sessions. Have you had a bike fit with them before?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On the other hand, a pint or two will get you twenty minutes with someone off the forum who can spot a saddle that's the wrong height, a frame that's the wrong size or a reach that's too awkward. By the sounds of it that might well be a first step that will take @RoubaixCube a long way from where he is now.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
On the other hand, a pint or two will get you twenty minutes with someone off the forum who can spot a saddle that's the wrong height, a frame that's the wrong size or a reach that's too awkward. By the sounds of it that might well be a first step that will take @RoubaixCube a long way from where he is now.

Normally im fine at adjusting my bike to my own preferences. My Triban hasnt had a bike fit but it is really comfortable to ride and ive never had any problems with the ride itself other than occasional bouts of hotfoot brought about by my use of SPD MTB pedals though Im in the process of trying to upgrade to SPD-SL for better support.

If there is some kind soul willing to have a look then I dont mind paying for a few pints. I'll take the cube out on the commute tomorrow anyway to see if im still having knee problems.

I was about to link cyclefit myself - £120 per hour if you require extra time/sessions. Have you had a bike fit with them before?
The £120/hour sessions are for follow-up appointments, only after you've had one of their full services -- see the list here.

Yes, I had a fitting on my Surly Cross Check in early 2011 (at the time my only road bike and I was having problems - a few crucial changes recommended by Julian and it became my daily commuter and pain free).

I then had a full fit (on the jig in the photo at the top of the page I've linked to) in summer 2013, before having a custom bike built (by someone else).

I have talked to Julian and Phil a fair bit over the years and totally recommend them and trust their judgment.

TimO

Guru
... that leg of the journey through Croydon with the hills was the death of me. ...

Shoreham_May2016_AltitudeProfile.png

The green line is approximately the point that you got to. After a brief downhill into Coulsdon, you would have had to go up Portnalls Road, which is steeper but shorter than the hill past Wallington Station. Then, there's a shallowly inclined but relatively long drag along High Road to the top of Reigate hill. So, aside from less than a mile of downhill, you would have had another 6 miles of uphill before the ride became a bit more varied in its up and down-ness.

swansonj

Guru
If I didn't bore enough of you on the night with my thoughts on the matter, may I offer an opinion that the hill from Beddington through Wallington up to the dip into Coulsdon is my least favourite in the whole of the bits of the Fridays repertoire I have sampled? It's not terribly steep compared to Portnalls / Turners / Ditchling / anything in Wales, but, compared to any of those, it doesn't actually do anything. Portnalls, for example, you start among depressing suburban identikit houses, but as you climb, they thin out, the lights cease, and you arrive at the top feeling you have finally shed urban life, ready to embark on the freedom of the rest of the ride. Ditchling winches you progressively higher above the floor and presents you with a vista of half of southern England. Wallington, by contrast, you start amid those depressing semis, you cycle past a whole lot more of them relieved only by a grammar school, and arrive at the top amid yet more indistinguishable suburbia, with absolutely sod all to show for your efforts. And it goes on for bloody ever.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's funny but I never remember much about the route when I'm on a FNRttC. I just follow the person in front. I remember the big set piece hills like Bury, Ditchling and Reigate (and the mighty Basser Hill!) but apart from that I can kind of remember that some bits go up and some don't, but I don't really recall which bits are which.

The only hill I can remember inside the M25 is the quite steep one that is just after the regroup on a left hand turn. I just looked it up, I think that's Portnalls.

When I'm navigating myself I have a much better idea.

TimO

Guru
... The only hill I can remember inside the M25 is the quite steep one that is just after the regroup on a left hand turn. I just looked it up, I think that's Portnalls. ...

That sounds correct, the stop just leaving Coulsdon is a convenient re-group point, since the metal fence is a convenient place to lean bicycles against, and most traffic continues along the B2032 (aka Chipstead Valley Road).

The short really steep bit is about 500m from the junction.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

The green line is approximately the point that you got to. After a brief downhill into Coulsdon, you would have had to go up Portnalls Road, which is steeper but shorter than the hill past Wallington Station. Then, there's a shallowly inclined but relatively long drag along High Road to the top of Reigate hill. So, aside from less than a mile of downhill, you would have had another 6 miles of uphill before the ride became a bit more varied in its up and down-ness.

Many thanks. I knew my reluctance to sign up for the Brighton ride was for a good reason. Id be lucky to make it to Gatwick.

Need a better ftp ratio

hatler

Guru

Tim, What's the rest of that route after Reigate ? I see no Ditchling in there.

Top Bottom