FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I recall on a previous ride to Brighton we went via Sutton and IIRC the A217. Whilst it's a bit of a dual carriageway it's at least quest that time of night, the gradient's far gentler to get you to the top of Reigate hill. I can't help thinking that from Sutton there's not a route via Tadworth or Banstead to cut out the worst .... I'll look it up. Yep Coulsden is souless as @swansonj states .... it's why my in-laws live there ....

The L2B manages to avoid Portnalls and Reigate hill.

I'l get mapping.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I remember a very cold one where @dellzeqq took us through Croydon and down the A whateveritis from Purley, as it would be gritted. That was quite flat for a London exit. I think it may have been a Felpham ride.

It was ver ver cold.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Wallington, by contrast, you start amid those depressing semis, you cycle past a whole lot more of them relieved only by a grammar school, and arrive at the top amid yet more indistinguishable suburbia, with absolutely sod all to show for your efforts. And it goes on for bloody ever.
Oi! Some of us live round here...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
5649160340_9695f1f588.jpg

On the other hand, a pint or two will get you twenty minutes with someone off the forum who can spot a saddle that's the wrong height, a frame that's the wrong size or a reach that's too awkward.
@RoubaixCube would do quite well to spend 10 minutes on the interwebs googling "bike fit" and watching various videos showing how it's done. Basically you need a mate, a doorframe to show you a vertical line, and 10 minutes to do a basic fit. If you want wattage, power measurement etc then it'll be more complicated, obvs.
And this would help, a bit, get him to Brighton. But until he's done most of that distance in daylight with a few hills, it'll be a struggle. That's the main bit.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I recall on a previous ride to Brighton we went via Sutton and IIRC the A217. Whilst it's a bit of a dual carriageway it's at least quest that time of night, the gradient's far gentler to get you to the top of Reigate hill. I can't help thinking that from Sutton there's not a route via Tadworth or Banstead to cut out the worst .... I'll look it up. Yep Coulsden is souless as @swansonj states .... it's why my in-laws live there ....
The L2B manages to avoid Portnalls and Reigate hill.
I'l get mapping.

When I did the BHF L2B in the 90s, we took How Lane from Coulsden to High Road. Portnalls seemed easier.
I liked the route overall, although that Wallington/Coulsdon/Portnalls climb did seem hard work .

Top Bottom