FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 16th May 2014, York to Hull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@Tim Hall fear not. You WILL go to the ball.
Clever people such as @Trickedem and @Flying Dodo (I think) have worked out that you can buy a ticket but have no bike space ticket, and place into the guard's van a steel frame with a saddle and handlebars but no wheels, so this is not a "bike" and thus requires no "bike ticket". You may well have in your other hand a black plastic bin liner containing two round things with tyres on but that is completely irrelevant. Take the aforesaid black plastic binliner on to the train and place in luggage rack. When in York, reverse aforesaid actions.
I saw someone else do this on that ride last year, not a FNRttC peep, just a civilian, as it were.
There is a logic to this in that the guard will expect you to lock the bike to the railing thingy so it doesn't disappear en route to York while the "steel frame" can simply be put in the end of the guard's van and moved in an emergency.
It seems to me this trick has become so popular with cyclists that some operators, such as Eurostar and National Express, now limit the length of these "steel frames" so you can't do it anymore.
I know you will have your heart in your mouth as you perform this con trick on an unsuspecting Virgin train guard, but it should work and I have seen it once with my own eyes.
Finally, if you can, I suggest you travel first class. It is only a bit more, and much more comfortable, and you will be awake all night so you might want to snatch a doze for an hour or so on the journey - and so won't want to be with all those other noisy, smelly and poor people.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
And I seem to recall you can get back from Hull to London for a tenner, although I have not ever done this, because although I've done the ride twice and I've then ridden back to London, a sort of rather extreme SMRbtH or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

BigGee

I like this ride a lot as well, even though it was freezing cold the year I did I!. I am also in the fortunate position of having friends in Newbald, just outside Hull, so I can head up the day before the ride and then grab a few hours sleep after, before heading back to London for a very reasonable £10.

I am planning on trying to ride up this year, leaving London early on Thursday morning and hoping to be up in Newbald by early evening. I have invested another tenner in a train ticket to Doncaster though, in case the weather is really crap or to cover any other eventuality that makes such a long ride impossible. I don't want to do a late cry off this year.

If I do manage to ride up, then I imagine I will be a good candidate for TEC!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Martin B
Phil P
Mrs P
Grahame D
Dave B
Stuart A
Andrew Br
Andrew F
Sonia
Jenny M
Jane D
Angus L
Sahar
Georgios
Mark L
Kat C
Isaac C
Sandra
Kim W
Paul S
User10571
Ruth T
Charlie B
Vernon
Ben F
Gavin K
Mark L
Andrew C
Jayne M
Aidan O

wanda2010

Guru
^^ :sad:

Tim Hall

So what's the skinny on getting back? Advance tickets from Hull to my neck of the woods (Surrey) are 30 quid or so. Group save doesn't appear to work in the frozen north. Walk up fare is "quite expensive". What time train should I look for from Hull?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Usually we are there by 8. Peeps tend to start drifting off after breakfast, a 10am train should be ok. Some move to the 'Spoons over the road and drink more beer. Some seem to go for a 2pm train.

(The Ibis hotel nearby lets you in at noon, rooms were £26 last year. I slept before cycling to London, but that is the expensive, strenuous option. )

U

User10571

I haz tix for return trip with bike rezzie on the !0:30 direct service to Londres.

Top Bottom