FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham October 10th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Delighted to report that Dr McWobble has caught his train with the London contingent of the reprobrates.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Now that I am home, I can celebrate the many positive aspects of this ride - the view down over the Arun Valley from the top of Bury Hill, the rainbow at the end of which lay (no doubt) a golden 12.7mm spanner, the chorizo, peppers and chili with scrambled egg on toast, the pace along Lonesome lane after a long waymark session in Reigate (or was it Redhill? I cannot tell the difference), the fact that there was nobody present to notice that the reason for my stopping on the climb of Bury Hill was not just to wait for Adrian to get there, the lightning, the brown sauce in my cheese sandwich, the manic laughter from another TEC - the list could go on for a long time. Thank you all for the entertainment and company!

U

User10571

Now that I am home, I can celebrate the many positive aspects of this ride - the view down over the Arun Valley from the top of Bury Hill, the rainbow at the end of which lay (no doubt) a golden 12.7mm spanner, the chorizo, peppers and chili with scrambled egg on toast, the pace along Lonesome lane after a long waymark session in Reigate (or was it Redhill? I cannot tell the difference), the fact that there was nobody present to notice that the reason for my stopping on the climb of Bury Hill was not just to wait for Adrian to get there, the lightning, the brown sauce in my cheese sandwich, the manic laughter from another TEC - the list could go on for a long time. Thank you all for the entertainment and company!
That sounds like a damn fine breakfast!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Really enjoyed this ride! On the whole i don't think the weather was too bad. The views from the top of Bury Hill were gorgeous. The breakfast was lovely, the triple shot Latte even better.

I continued with my original plan to ride a other 25miles to get home. Unfortunately, this section proved to be the worse, from a weather perspective. Initially I rode out of the bad weather as I left Bognor. However, once I hit Havant and climbed up Portsdown Hill, a deluge of water decided to attack me! The roads were essentially flooded and I may have well have been towed along by a speedboat in the solent there was that much water! Cars were almost drowning me as I caught their wakes! I couldn't help but laugh though! Eventually got home looking like a drowned rat, I'll probably have a cold in the morning now lol

Thanks to everyone for an epic adventure!

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Just looked back at this photo I took, who's the chap cleverly disguising himself as a hanging basket? Lol

image.jpg

The view that met us in Felpham (before the heavens opened again)

image.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Really nice sociable ride after an absence of a couple of years. Great to catch up with some of my favourite peeps - you know who you are.
A special mention to Slowmo who looks 10 years younger than when I last saw him pre-op. Good for another couple years yet, easy.:whistle:

Captain Camouflage was a great comic invention - thanks for the entertainment mate and sorry the tube wasn't able to stand up to your rims!
The great Ianrauk looking suitably elegant a la Max Wall :thumbsup:
felpham1.jpg

..and Captain Camouflage hard to spot in the shingle but if you squint and make your eyes go out of focus, he's there somewhere....
Nectar card overshoes courtesy of Sainsburys!

felpham3.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's the cabin.
standalone

Top tip for anyone who forgets their gloves on chilly rainy rides: Petrol stations provide free plastic gloves that are surprisingly warm.

@hatler will be pleased to know that the wheel he sold me a couple of years ago is still going strong. In fact my whole bike had a good night. It's not been allowed out since a couple of Whitstables ago, when it disgraced itself by making flatulent mudguard noises. It's had a good going over since. At twice the UCI weight limit it's not going to win any races, but point it in the right direction, pedal a bit, and it gets you there in comfort.

@theclaud I hope your aversion to ludicrous lighting was suitably affronted by my flashing ankle bands. £1.99 from Aldi, I couldn't resist them. They do lose ludicrous points by being basically useful functional trouser clips under the silly lights.

Direct trains to london from Littlehampton, which is only about 5 miles away, seem to be better than Bognor. The A259 is quite busy, bizarrely it has a stretch of cycle path that is well surfaced, fast and free from debris. Someone will get fired for that.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Direct trains to london from Littlehampton, which is only about 5 miles away, seem to be better than Bognor. The A256 is quite busy, bizarrely it has a stretch of cycle path that is well surfaced, fast and free from debris. Someone will get fired for that.
It's the A259. I assume you went over the ped/cycle bridge into Littlehampton rather than the (very nasty) last stretch of the 259. Barnham's a better bet than Bognor- that's the nearest major station, and easier to ride to than Littlehampton (IMHO).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's the A259. I assume you went over the ped/cycle bridge into Littlehampton rather than the (very nasty) last stretch of the 259. Barnham's a better bet than Bognor- that's the nearest major station, and easier to ride to than Littlehampton (IMHO).
You posted just as I was correcting that.

No we just went the most direct route possible down the rather nasty and very rainy main road. Should really have given it some thought before looking up the train times and then riding like stink. But it worked out OK

Top Bottom