FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 5th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigGee

Wool is unfortunately expensive but its a worthwhile investment. You can't beat woollen base layers and you can't beat woollen socks.
Switch geek mode off...

Agree about the properties of Merino Wool. I wore a long sleeved Merino base layer with a short sleeved cycling jersey under my Altura rain jacket. I would never have claimed to be warm on friday night, but I was not unbearably cold either.

By the time we got to Strood the rain jacket had leaked via the zip and water had worked its way down my neck and I was pretty much soaked inside, but still not freezing cold.

By the time we got to whitstable, the rain having stopped for an hour or so by then, My base layer had just about dried out from the inside out. It really is amazing stuff. My cotton socks on the other hand needed to be wrung out in the sink and even the dry pair I had carried all the way in my back pocket were still wet!

Merino wool base layer, got mine from dbh via wiggle, probably best bit of cycling clothing I have ever bought and it did not break the bank either

Recycle

Über Member
<pedant mode on> I think you mean hypothermia, as hyperthermia would have been an advantage on Friday night ... <pedant mode off>
You're right! Bloody hell, I thought I got that one right and you aren't exactly in pedant mode. Hyperthermia means the opposite!
Must be my lisdexia...

Recycle

Über Member
Actually, a dynohub comes close to a lighting panacea. Schmidt's dynohuby are waterproof, and mine (on a 20" wheel) functioned meticulously on the Wetstable ride.
This is what Schmidt write on their website about water:
A more realistic threat is that the frontlight may play up. This happened to me only a few weeks ago in really heavy rain. A well used Busch & Müller LED light (per-Cyo) just died. Hence, Wetstable was the inaugural ride for my brand new Cyo.
Hence, it's always good to have redundant system.
Thanks, I have the same hub & light combo as you (with the new Cyo) so that makes me feel a bit better.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whoever it was, they were wrong. The weather on Friday was bad.
If they want to make something of it and pontificate about clothing then they are asking for a slap. Come on Mr Feinnes, I'm waiting.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
the phrase comes from the Norwegian company Helly Hansen, which ran a series of adverts saying "there is not bad weather, there is only bad clothing" - in norwegian it rhymes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Whoever it was, they were wrong. The weather on Friday was bad.
If they want to make something of it and pontificate about clothing then they are asking for a slap. Come on Mr Feinnes, I'm waiting.
This is a guy who cut his own fingers off rather than trouble his doctor, do you really want to mess with him?

Sorry for the zombie threat but...

My Smart Superflash has started working again:dance:

It has been in my spares box and every few months I check and see just in case.

This time I got flashing red lights...the switch is still borked so I will just have to take the batts out if I use it.

Top Bottom