FNRttC Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
2016 will see a proper re-run of a real Friday's classic: the London — Newhaven — Paris ride.

Different to previous years, the ride will start on a Friday night rather than a Thursday. We'll leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight and ride through the night to Newhaven via the Gatwick Surprise. Breakfast at the loveliest Italian place north of the Channel, which also serves beer. Morning ferry (10am) to Dieppe.

On Saturday ride another 25 miles from Dieppe to Saint-Saens, a gem of a French town. On Sunday, it's another 87 miles to Paris.

Many options for the way back: the Eurostar (if you're pressed for time even on Sunday night, ETA in Paris is 5pm-ish), a train back to Dieppe or another bike ride.

You can also join for parts of the ride, be it the night ride to Newhaven or the bit in France.

As bike spaces on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry may sell out, it makes sense to book them early.

In Saint-Saens, I'll be staying at the Domaine de L'Abbaye (http://www.ledomainedelabbaye.com/).

In Paris, I'll stay at the Hotel Jeanne D'Arc in the Marais (http://hoteljeannedarc.com/) which if you book now only charges 99 euros for a double.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hmmm...starting on a Friday puts this one into the 'I can do this one without any leave needed' tray. Which is nice. I am going to Paris for a flaming good weekend in June (quite literally, Rammstein at the Download Festival) , but probably without a bike. I'll almost certainly go to Newhaven if no further, I'll have a think about the whole thing.

StuAff

Just been on booking.com. Logis La Paix booked in Forges-les-Eaux, Hotel Pointe Rivoli (300m from the Jeanne D'Arc) in Paris. Both on flexible bookings, if nothing else I'm holding the room for AN Other. Also had a look at Eurostar, the least expensive tickets for the Sunday evening seem to be going fast.

mllond

Yay I am in! Ferry booked. Considering the 20:13 Eurostar on Sunday, does that sound too risky?

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Yay I am in! Ferry booked. Considering the 20:13 Eurostar on Sunday, does that sound too risky?
Great news! The 20:13 Eurostar on Sunday, July 24 should be doable. If you' re not on the Brompton, you have to check in the bike at least 1 hours in advance (maybe double-check when booking the bike reservation), but I think we should arrive in Paris 5pm-ish, if not earlier (depending a bit on how early we leave Saint-Sains)

Kat and I will be on the 1713 hrs Eurostar on Monday, July 25. We've booked to bike spaces and both will be on grown-up bikes! Tickets currently at 41.50 GPB per person, plus 30 quid for the bike; and there seem to be plenty of bike spaces available.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Just been on booking.com. Logis La Paix booked in Forges-les-Eaux,
mind you Forges-les-Eaux is not on the route, so you'd have to meet us in Morgny for elevenses. To keep it as simple as possible, I'd prefer if people stayed in Saint-Saens as long as accomodation is available there.

StuAff

mind you Forges-les-Eaux is not on the route, so you'd have to meet us in Morgny for elevenses. To keep it as simple as possible, I'd prefer if people stayed in Saint-Saens as long as accomodation is available there.
Indeed so. In order to keep my options open, thought it best to get somewhere in the general vicinity booked ASAP. Might only go to Newhaven, or perhaps ride Forges-Le Havre for the ferry home.

StuAff

Kat and I will be on the 1713 hrs Eurostar on Monday, July 25. We've booked to bike spaces and both will be on grown-up bikes! Tickets currently at 41.50 GPB per person, plus 30 quid for the bike; and there seem to be plenty of bike spaces available.
Bear in mind the check-in time, particularly with the bikes- they recommend 45 minutes at weekends, and you'd have to get the bikes handed over before that.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Bear in mind the check-in time, particularly with the bikes- they recommend 45 minutes at weekends, and you'd have to get the bikes handed over before that.

As we will arrive on Sunday afternoon, and will take a train 24 hours later on Monday, there will be plenty of time. ^_^

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I have reserved twin rooms at the Abbaye in Saint Saens & at the Hotel du Vieux Marais, Paris - let me know if you want to share them!

How to get back? Anyone interested in retracing footsteps to Dieppe or in some other way avoiding Eurostar?

StuartG

slower but further
Can I make a provisional grab for sharing Abbaye @Gordon P. I may repeat the last time and hang a right at Gisors and make my roundabout way back to Dieppe with a stopover or two in Le Dieu's notre compagne.

Top Bottom