Front brake rim calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
I want to try rim brakes on the front as the rattle from the disc gets on my nerves. As it's a bit of an experiment i don't want to pay too much. I'm not an expert but research tells me that calipers and levers need to be compatible and i recon i need calipers with approx 55mm reach. The tyre is 35mm wide, but i will probably replace with 28mm. The mounting hole is 6mm, black shimano would be preferred.

dont forget your existing disc braked wheel may need changing as it probably wont have a specific braking surface for rim brakes

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Many thanks for that - i hadn't so much 'forgotten' as 'never realised' in the first place. Any ideas how i'd i'd find out (they're Alex X2100 wheels).

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks. It's actually a BMC but i guess from what you suggest these are used on Specialized. I have found a russian site that tells me (via google translate) that rim brakes are OK. And there is a picture of an ex-demo wheelset on chainreactioncycles that includes the following info:

The V type semi-aero rim profile features a wear line indicator, the 0.3mm deep circumference line appears on both sidewall surfaces. When a sidewall becomes thinner the colour of indicator become lighter and hard to tell the difference between the CNC machining and the indicator, it’s recommended to replace the rim.

If i understand correctly, i believe that answers the question(?)

Top Bottom