Front lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for a decent front light to go with my eBay purchased Cree powered crazy light. Requirements are for a light to see by on semi-unlit roads but mainly as a backup.

I previously had an old cateye el135 I think it was which did this well (about 4 years old).

Ideally around 30quid but can go higher if needed. Lezyne micro drive 400 is one I'm considering. Thoughts please!

steve50

Disenchanted Member

OP
OP
T

tallliman

Guru
Thanks, I should've added, I don't want another crazy Cree unit with an external battery. I want something with an internal battery.

broady

Veteran
I just brought the Lezyne 600xl and love it!
I have it on the overdrive mode and it really is like high and low beam.
I have only used it last week as I don't like to rely on my crazy cree power light with external power pack (sure it will just die one day).
I used it on familiar unlit roads in group riding and found it fine. Was up at £40 on Halfords (10% off and a nice little £10 voucher got me it for £26).

I already have the micro drive xl, but I'm not that impressed with that. I'm happy to go out for 40 mile night rides with the two Lezyne lights though now.

dim

I have one of these that I bought for £13 off ebay last year .... worked flawlessly during winter last year, and still works perfect. I cycle on dark cycle lanes/roads daily and I use this light with the headstrap. I use it set to low (it has 3 settings), and on low, it's superbright (like a pair of Volvo bus headlights). By using it on the headband, I can look to the left or right if an oncoming car or cyclist is approaching, so as not to blind them

s-l1600.jpg

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I just got an izone arc 850. Seems very well made, very bright, reasonably small and a good beam pattern. It is USB rechargeable. I haven't checked how long it runs for but they reckon a couple of hours. I paid about £35 at Tredz.

broady

Veteran
@dim thats what I have too and also brought it last year. I just expect it to fail at any point now, which maybe completely wrong as if I'd paid £113 for it I would think nothing of the sort.

I have never had a charging issue or anything, bit how well made can they really be for £13...

dim

@dim thats what I have too and also brought it last year. I just expect it to fail at any point now, which maybe completely wrong as if I'd paid £113 for it I would think nothing of the sort.

I have never had a charging issue or anything, bit how well made can they really be for £13...

not sure, but from what I have read, these are made by the same Chinese factory that makes magicshine. I may be wrong though as I read it on the internet on a forum.

But saying that, the battery has not exploded, charge keeps well and I'm heading into my 2nd winter with mine. I've used it often in heavy rain and it's waterproof (I keep the battery pack in my jacket pocket)

If it packs up, I will buy another one ... there are several varients, mine was the strongest at the time I looked.

Top Bottom