Fully Loaded Touring Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

I am all loaded up ready to cycle to Lerwick and sail to Kirkwall. This is my first tour. My new Panorama looks like it might break very wobbley. Is that the norm. She should feel lighter after all the boil in the bag meals have gone. Anyway fingers crossed. This will be a big test for the new ridgeback model. Iwill let you know how I get on. Tombo 707

Bigtallfatbloke

brilliant! Good luck...& keep posting up about how it goes.

Bigtallfatbloke

no I didnt..I had four panniers (2 front 2 rear) and a bar bag. I spread the load 70% rear 30% front and 50/50 each side as best I could. Are your racks firmly fixed in place? Panniers fixed firmly to the racks? Tyres inflated properly? Is the bike set up to fit you right...you arn't to high in th e saddle by any chance?

Riding with a heavy load took me some getting used to, but after a ferw miles it was all fine...in fact I felt more stable on the bike with the load than without after a while.

My load was iro 20kg including tent

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Tombo 707 said:
Hi B.TF.B Did you feel that your bike was wobbley on your first trip.?

The frame does flex more when fully loaded and it does feel strange at first. You'll quickly accommodate the 'strange' behaviour of your bike and you'll forget all about it.

I worry unduly at the start of every tour as I use my touring bike for Audaxes and utility cycling and get used to its more sprightly unladen handling for best part of a year before loading it up again.

Enjoy your tour.

redfox

Yep, I usually get caught out when standing to honk my up the first hill and everything turns to jelly. After that I tend to remember I'm on tour.

just jim

Couple of days in and it won't be an issue. What could be is your thoughts about what stuff to take and what to leave at home next time!

As Vernon mentions, the oddest thing is riding the bike when it's unloaded after completing a long tour.

redfox

just jim said:
As Vernon mentions, the oddest thing is riding the bike when it's unloaded after completing a long tour.

Not for me, I love that bit!

That's when I try beat my PBs for all my local training loops. Its amazing how much faster you suddenly become when you get back and are unladen.

wallabyhunter

I did a lot of touring 2 - 3 years ago,
Did you feel that your bike was wobbley on your first trip

I couldn't believe how different the same bike felt after riding for 2 - 3 years unladen, then sticking the panniers back on to practise for the up coming holiday!

Riding with a heavy load took me some getting used to, but after a ferw miles it was all fine...in fact I felt more stable on the bike with the load than without after a while.
It realy is what you're used to eh? I like the way the bike rides now, but I can hardly lift it. Up to 24 kg now, looking to tour with 16 kg, should be apop!

only 24 days & 3/12 hours to go... ... but who's counting?

www.letourgb.com

Top Bottom