Scotland : Kingdom of Fife Future CC Ecosse TOUR Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Hi All

Fresh from our successful CC Ecosse Tour to Islay (via Arran) 2014 (you've read the write-up, obviously) my thoughts have already turned to where we go in 2015. Rather than clog-up any other thread I thought I'd start a new one to pitch some ideas around and see what you good folks of CC Ecosse-land think.

So, is there anywhere in Scotland you have a burning desire to visit by bike that can't be done in a day? Do you have an old black and white photo somewhere that you would like to recreate? Do you have a unfulfilled need to get soaked, have every last cobweb blown out of you and spend a weekend in the company of relative strangers?

If so feel free to lob your idea in here and see how it floats - I'm not saying I'll organise it for you, but then again I just might...;)

Things to think of are:
  • Ease of transport to location (how close can you get by train/ferry and how accommodating are these transport links to cyclists??)
  • How long you would like to spend there (i.e. 4-days - 6-month tours are, for me currently out of the question)
  • Accommodation - how "rustic" do you like your bed for the night to be and what is your budget?
  • When would you like to go (if anyone says "January" I'm already out)

Please can all respondants keep it sensible and respect all suggestions - i.e. don't p*ss on anyone's parade!

Your participation is appreciated :smile:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
The first idea that occurred to me was a tour to Tobermory on Mull, where the SYHA looks like this:
tobermory-exterior.jpg

Though as @Edwardoka pointed out the trains to Oban are not very cycle-friendly, so a workaround may be required.

The combined train/ferry timetable from Oban to Mull is here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Another thought that occurred to me was to repeat our Islay adventure but during the week this time instead of over a weekend so we perhaps get an extra day to explore and the island isn't completely shut 'cos it's Sunday!

This has the advantage that we know better what we are doing, but the disadvantage of just repeating this years' tour and would mean more time off for most people.

The first idea that occurred to me was a tour to Tobermory on Mull, where the SYHA looks like this:
tobermory-exterior.jpg

Though as @Edwardoka pointed out the trains to Oban are not very cycle-friendly, so a workaround may be required.

Having cycled to two of the four extreme points of the British mainland (Dunnet Head and Lizard Point) I rather fancy visiting a third.

As you suggested Tobermory and Mull, and given that Tobermory is right across the channel from the Ardnamurchan peninsula, I think it would be worthwhile tacking the Ardnamurchan peninsula on and visiting the lighthouse. There are also some other routes on Ardnamurchan that could be used to extend the day if need be. The ferry timetable here seems to be quite reasonable and offer us plenty of flexibility, although accommodation-wise seems to be a bit thinner on the north side of the channel.

Regarding transportation to Oban and its surrounds, this is a notoriously cyclist-unfriendly route by train; reservations are an absolute must and quite often only 2 bikes are allowed on, depending upon how jobsworthy the conductor is.
However, as I posted in the other thread, for the 2013 Perth ride people from the west hired a guy with a van to take the bikes while everyone else took the train and I think that something like this would probably the most practical option.

Another thought that occurred to me was to repeat our Islay adventure but during the week this time instead of over a weekend so we perhaps get an extra day to explore and the island isn't completely shut 'cos it's Sunday!

This has the advantage that we know better what we are doing, but the disadvantage of just repeating this years' tour and would mean more time off for most people.
No repeaties! Although @Harry_Palmer79 and I have unfinished business on the road between Bowmore and Port Ellen...

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Having cycled to two of the four extreme points of the British mainland (Dunnet Head and Lizard Point) I rather fancy visiting a third.

As you suggested Tobermory and Mull, and given that Tobermory is right across the channel from the Ardnamurchan peninsula, I think it would be worthwhile tacking the Ardnamurchan peninsula on and visiting the lighthouse. There are also some other routes on Ardnamurchan that could be used to extend the day if need be. The ferry timetable here seems to be quite reasonable and offer us plenty of flexibility, although accommodation-wise seems to be a bit thinner on the north side of the channel.

Regarding transportation to Oban and its surrounds, this is a notoriously cyclist-unfriendly route by train; reservations are an absolute must and quite often only 2 bikes are allowed on, depending upon how jobsworthy the conductor is.
However, as I posted in the other thread, for the 2013 Perth ride people from the west hired a guy with a van to take the bikes while everyone else took the train and I think that something like this would probably the most practical option.

On a 4-day tour depending on transport we could get to Tobermory in a day then have 2 days clear to do (a) mental cycling on Ardnamurchan (b) more sensible cycling on Mull or (c) nothing and get drunk - seems to cover all the bases of a CC Ecosse tour!

Lets see what else comes up :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just an idea, as I recently did this one myself (on a motorbike!).
Get bikes to Oban somehow, (I like @Edwardoka 's idea of hiring a man with a van), then take the ferry to Barra. Do a lap of Barra, then take the ferry to Eriskay. Cycle over the causeway to South Uist, then northwards over Benbecula and North Uist to Berneray. Ferry to Harris, then cycle through Harris and Lewis to Stornoway; ferry over to Ullapool where man with van can collect the bikes again while people take the bus to Inverness and trains to Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Barra, Lewis, and Harris have some hills for the climbers, the Uists are mainly flat for the rest of us! Total mileage on the islands is roughly 120.
An island hopper ticket is a bargain with CalMac at £35.50 (this year) with bicycles going for no extra charge.

NB.. This idea does not constitute an offer to organise this event ^_^, or even take part in it. I have a habit of picking up niggling injuries at the start of summer which tend to restrict my ability to take part in these events. Can't say I am a fan of the communal living thing in hostels either; I prefer camping or B&Bs (funds and availability permitting).

(b) more sensible cycling on Mull
Have you seen the terrain for Mull?!

Day 1: Logistics of getting to Oban pending: Oban to Craignure ferry, then http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5732368
Days 2 and 3: Several options, pootle around Mull (not many roads), or ferry to Kilchoan, then http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5732405 ending in Sanna Bay (accommodation depending upon numbers, or could retrace steps and get ferry back to Tobermory)

A longer suggestion would involve getting the Corran ferry (train to Fort William, I guess) and doing this route to Kilchoan http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5732461

Get bikes to Oban somehow, (I like @Edwardoka 's idea of hiring a man with a van), then take the ferry to Barra. Do a lap of Barra, then take the ferry to Eriskay. Cycle over the causeway to South Uist, then northwards over Benbecula and North Uist to Berneray. Ferry to Harris, then cycle through Harris and Lewis to Stornoway; ferry over to Ullapool.
I fully endorse this route, having done it already it is fantastic, doing it with CC Ecossers would add so much to the experience.*
I was in fact going to suggest it but glad you did since @Fubar seems to think that my suggestions are insane :crazy:

* Assuming the weather is good. It would be utterly dismal if we had a repeat of Islay Tour Day 2's weather.

Brandane

Legendary Member
* Assuming the weather is good. It would be utterly dismal if we had a repeat of Islay Tour Day 2's weather.
Yes; this would be the make or break factor. Headwinds would be relentless if you were unlucky with its direction. I was there about 3 weeks ago and there was a lot of rain, and a strong southerly wind blowing. At times I was very glad that I hadn't stuck with my original plan to cycle it :ohmy:.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Get bikes to Oban somehow, (I like @Edwardoka 's idea of hiring a man with a van), then take the ferry to Barra. Do a lap of Barra, then take the ferry to Eriskay. Cycle over the causeway to South Uist, then northwards over Benbecula and North Uist to Berneray. Ferry to Harris, then cycle through Harris and Lewis to Stornoway; ferry over to Ullapool where man with van can collect the bikes again while people take the bus to Inverness and trains to Edinburgh/Glasgow.

Barra, Lewis, and Harris have some hills for the climbers, the Uists are mainly flat for the rest of us! Total mileage on the islands is roughly 120.
An island hopper ticket is a bargain with CalMac at £35.50 (this year) with bicycles going for no extra charge.

NB.. This idea does not constitute an offer to organise this event ^_^, or even take part in it. I have a habit of picking up niggling injuries at the start of summer which tend to restrict my ability to take part in these events. Can't say I am a fan of the communal living thing in hostels either; I prefer camping or B&Bs (funds and availability permitting).

Don't suppose you have a GPS route from your motorbike, do you...???

Sounds like a great tour - the logistics might be, shall we say "challenging"?

Don't suppose you have a GPS route from your motorbike, do you...???

Sounds like a great tour - the logistics might be, shall we say "challenging"?

This is the route I did: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5732542

My itinerary was:
Day 1: Train from Glasgow to Oban, ferry to Castlebay, Castlebay Hotel for sleepsies.
Day 2: Castlebay to Bayhead on North Uist
Day 3: Bayhead to Stornoway
Day 4: Stornoway to Ullapool, cycle to Garve (thanks, citylink), train to Inverness and back to Glasgow.

I would recommend doing this over a longer period, and accommodation would be more challenging for a group than it was for me.

Top Bottom