Scotland : Kingdom of Fife Future CC Ecosse TOUR Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'd love to see the Ardamurchan lighthouse in sunshine, if that can be arranged...
7764989_2b6182a9364b3c790690eb820c65e824_standard.jpg

And I wonder if the very friendly dog is still around.

When I was there, I stayed at the Sonachan hotel about halfway between the ferry at Kilchoan and the lighthouse. They have multiple levels of comfort in sleeping arrangements (bunkhouse or b&b), and served pretty decent food.

Having said that, a trip to the outer hebrides has a certain appeal as well...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I'd love to see the Ardamurchan lighthouse in sunshine, if that can be arranged...
And I wonder if the very friendly dog is still around.

When I was there, I stayed at the Sonachan hotel about halfway between the ferry at Kilchoan and the lighthouse. They have multiple levels of comfort in sleeping arrangements (bunkhouse or b&b), and served pretty decent food.

Having said that, a trip to the outer hebrides has a certain appeal as well...

:hello: Feeling home-/Scotland-sick already, @Rasmus?
I can confirm that the Outer Hebrides are an amazing place for a cycle tour ... it's probably at least 15 years ago :ohmy:, but I still remember it like yesterday. :wub:

T

Skye is rather amazing, I also have heard of a wee bump nearby at Applecross :whistle:.

P.S. get mountain bikes, I've done some of the West Highland way and would love to finish it.
Skye is on the bucket list, as is the Bealach na Ba. :hyper:

Cycling the WHW, OTOH, is crazy talk. I saw a guy riding the section between Inversnaid and the Drovers' and the ease with which he tackled big boulders astonished me. I'd have to get off and shoulder the bike to get over the same terrain. That's not touring, that's torture! :surrender:

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Having been driven around the Isle of Mull..(i'll return someday)
I'd think the cycle round would be excellent, fine scenery and literally all single track roads although a bit up and down.
We glamped HERE basic but we found it okay..cheap and cheerful
Its minutes from Craignure pier..
A 'walk' up Ben More is thoroughly recommended..
View from the top HERE
oh, and try the chippy van at Tobermory:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Lots of good ideas to work on, keep 'em coming folks - plenty of time to plan for next year! Anywhere on the East Coast? A wee tour to the Lake District also flitted in and out my brain this week... :whistle:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Sustrans Lochs and Glens North? Glasgow to Inverness. Would allow people to join/leave the group based on available dates. E.g. person x might only have 2 days available so gets the train to Pitlochry, meets up and rides to Inverness etc.

Ooo, I do like the look of that!
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/lochs-and-glens-north

Plenty options for distance, minimal reliance on public transport and challenging without being too remote, what's not to like!?!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sustrans Lochs and Glens North? Glasgow to Inverness. Would allow people to join/leave the group based on available dates. E.g. person x might only have 2 days available so gets the train to Pitlochry, meets up and rides to Inverness etc.
Ok, yes, I fancy that too!!
Liked the Mull one as well, but this looks more scenic and less hilly ^_^
Also not too remote? Route 7 in Glasgow is actually lovely :tongue:
Can we do it in July? I think in June we will have the Glasgow cycling festival again, @Ellebells and I will be working at events.
Would you open a thread @Edwardoka? :smile:
First thing that springs in mind is how would we get back from Inverness, we might have to cycle back towards a bike friendly train line ... more miles :biggrin:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Like the idea of Lochs and Glens, 8-10 days to do it there and back again. I'd get the train to and from Glasgow.

I can look into a Lakes tour if anyone wants. It could be started from Carlisle if required, 30 miles from there gets you to the start of the Lakes. be waned though... "flat" is not a word in much use down there :tongue:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Like the idea of Lochs and Glens, 8-10 days to do it there and back again. I'd get the train to and from Glasgow.

I can look into a Lakes tour if anyone wants. It could be started from Carlisle if required, 30 miles from there gets you to the start of the Lakes. be waned though... "flat" is not a word in much use down there :tongue:
You want to do it back as well? :thumbsup:
After reading @Rickshaw Phil's reports from his Lakes holidays, if we decide to go there I must start diet and hill repeats now :laugh:

Top Bottom