Scotland : Kingdom of Fife Future CC Ecosse TOUR Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
FEARLESS LEADER YOU HAVE RETURNED :wahhey:

Solid bit of research there :thumbsup:
Clearly there must be a diversion up the Cairngorm ski road for those who are willing.

Aye, on you go - I'll be right behind you... :secret:

I've edited my reply somewhat to lay it out better (you can tell I'm keen) and to give another couple of options for the first stop - noticed the Mhor 84 Hotel when I was on my 2nd 100-miler in a week run on Saturday... :whistle: - but that is all just garnish at the moment.

Think it will be key to gauge interest then assess daily mileage based on ability.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Out of nothing other than boredom over lunch I started looking at this again - 200 miles total distance, broken down as follows:

DAY 1
If we equate that to approx 50 miles per day our first stop could be at Balquhidder (mile 55) where there is a hostel here: http://www.visitscotland.com/info/accommodation/loch-voil-hostel-p877121#location

OR a Hotel here: http://mhor.net/mhor84-motel/

Or Lochearnhead (Mile 60) where there is a hostel here: http://www.stravaiging.com/travel/accommodation/property/braveheart-backpackers

The advantage is that East Coasters can use an alternative route via Fife, Crieff and Loch Earn to get here.

DAY 2
Next stop Pitlochry (mile 105) here: https://www.syha.org.uk/where-to-stay/highlands/pitlochry.aspx

DAY 3
Next stop either Kingussie (mile 150) here: http://www.kingussie.co.uk/stay/bunkhouse

or push onto Aviemore (mile 165) here: https://www.syha.org.uk/where-to-stay/highlands/aviemore.aspx

DAY 4
Then last leg to Inverness for either the train home or overnight accommodation ;)

If we were being more adventurous (and depending who was interested) we could target 100k per day - looking at the route profile I wouldn't want to attempt any more than that though on a tourer. So 3-4 day trip, hostel accommodation is around £20-25 per night (NOTE: hostel accomm links only there as an example and convenience, if hostels exist generally other accomm will be available) and train back from Inverness to Edin/Glasgow would be around £40 (unless you wanted to cycle back!).

For me it would probably have to be either May or August next year, though don't let that put you off!

Thoughts???
Oh pragmatic, intrepid, all encompassing leader !:biggrin:
Me like your thoughts very much!
I can see that the project manager in you is already organizing this trip :whistle:
Let's do it, I promise to train harder this time :smile:
Any dates are fine with me, but I think weather wise maybe end July/beginning of August is better?
I'm not adverse to the idea of riding it back ^_^

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Oh pragmatic, intrepid, all encompassing leader !:biggrin:
Me like your thoughts very much!
I can see that the project manager in you is already organizing this trip :whistle:
Let's do it, I promise to train harder this time :smile:
Any dates are fine with me, but I think weather wise maybe end July/beginning of August is better?
I'm not adverse to the idea of riding it back ^_^

You DO know we live in Scotland and this isn't a tour of the Dolomites, don't you Pat?!?!?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You DO know we live in Scotland and this isn't a tour of the Dolomites, don't you Pat?!?!?
Dunno, ime May can be quite wet, second week in August here in Glasgow is a gamble, then again this year it has been nice till now, hardly got a soaking since the beginning of summer :wacko:

...Islay...
"What happens on Islay stays on Islay"

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
:hello: Welcome aboard the good ship CC Ecosse - we tend to do forum rides every month or two and you quickly get to know people (particularly when sharing a dormitory with them!)
I'm still trying to nail down the details for next year's tour but you should definitely come along on one of the rides before then!

Hmmm, while refreshing my memory of the tour discussions I found this little gem - so, have you got all the details nailed down then, Glorious Intrepid Fearless Leader??

Hmmm, while refreshing my memory of the tour discussions I found this little gem - so, have you got all the details nailed down then, Glorious Intrepid Fearless Leader??
Oh, you magnificent bastrid. #EdwardokaOutOfContext

No not me as tour leader - I don't have the cognitive capacity to lead a tour (half an hour late to HPC, 15 minutes late to my own CC Ecosse ride and 8 hours late to the Islay tour proves that :whistle:) but I can certainly help with planning and support :hugs:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Oh, you magnificent bastrid. #EdwardokaOutOfContext

No not me as tour leader - I don't have the cognitive capacity to lead a tour (half an hour late to HPC, 15 minutes late to my own CC Ecosse ride and 8 hours late to the Islay tour proves that :whistle:) but I can certainly help with planning and support :hugs:

:bravo:Chapeau - in equal measure you do yourself a disservice AND absolve yourself of any responsibility, quite a feat!

Sniffing around this again I realised how quickly my calendar has filled up, though hope still remains - should we gob out a Lochs and Glens ride and see if floats??

p.s. I can't remember you being late to HPC, you were MUCH MORE than 15 minutes late to your own ride and when you turned up on Arran we were just glad you hadn't died!

:bravo:Chapeau - in equal measure you do yourself a disservice AND absolve yourself of any responsibility, quite a feat!
You know me too well :thanks:

Sniffing around this again I realised how quickly my calendar has filled up, though hope still remains - should we gob out a Lochs and Glens ride and see if floats??
Do it! I seem to recall that @MikeW-71 was considering a route back from Inverness as well so that could be an extended option for those with time to spend in an awesome part of the world!

p.s. I can't remember you being late to HPC, you were MUCH MORE than 15 minutes late to your own ride and when you turned up on Arran we were just glad you hadn't died!

- I was
- I definitely bloody wasn't :boxing: Strava has me arriving at ~10:19, for a start time of 10am! If 4 minutes is MUCH MORE then no wonder you couldn't conceive of someone riding a ton in January :girl:
- Worth it just to see the look on everyone's face when I sweatily rocked up in lycra while everyone was dressed up nicely :hello:

So, Lochs and Glens North? July or August?

My calendar is much fuller earlier in the year and it's difficult to find a happy medium.

Maybe if we create a collaborative calendar everyone can put up what dates they're unavailable and then we can pick the best window of opportunity. It would be a damn shame for people to miss out due to scheduling conflicts.

Top Bottom