Gallery of steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I attended a classic vehicle rally in Hurworth on Sunday. There was a single exhibitor with a range of bikes...

2yqepyre.jpg

A rare Granby with tapered down tube and seat tube. The chain stays went from circular section to square then oval then back to circular. It had laminated cane wheels.

e2yramu4.jpg

A Hetchins track bike.

2e2e3y8y.jpg

Hetchins lug work.

7adudaje.jpg

A Bianchi in the proper shade of celeste.
tu2a7uha.jpg

Nice lucgs and chrome work on the Bianchi.

uzyruzug.jpg

A Paris Galibier. Pig ugly.
y3edy3es.jpg

Saxon bike with twin seat tubes.

It was a peculiar set of circumstances. I had a chat with the exhibiter as he was setting up the bikes. He had a Bates Vergrandis on display and I was telling him about my friend who had a Bates BAR and was also present at the show. When my pal came over it turns out that they know each other and it transpired that the exhibiter has around two hundred classic cycles in his converted loft - must be a big house.

It also transpired that I'd met the exhibitor last year near Northallerton when he overtook me and pulled into a layby ahead of me. He had a Baines Flying Gate on a rack and i was riding a Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate replica. We had a chat about the differences between the bikes. Mine looked agricultural when compare to the delicacy of construction at the rear end of the Baines bike.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Anyone know what the thinking was behind the offset seat tube on the Paris?

It cant be for aesthetic reasons and would have created more work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ruined by the presence of carbon forks....
I thought somebody might say that!

I had a spare pair of CF forks which I fitted to my steel-framed Basso for a while. They still had the paintjob of the bike they had come off and it bothered me. I was going to spray them black, but in the end I put the original steel forks back on. It wasn't a superlight bike so the extra pound or so didn't make a huge difference. (Especially when I was about 55 pounds overweight!)

Top Bottom