Gardeners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes as a fellow allotment holder I agree about carpet - it probably wasn't the best suggestion. I do successfully use old carpet on the allotment though. One use is to just chuck it down on any area which is getting too weedy and I can't get to deal with and the other is to cover my compost heap. Agree keeping on top of stray threads is essential.

For our friend in Kent I'll offer a better suggestion. Old cardboard boxes covered with bark etc. The cardboard will happily rot down in the first winter. Be sure to remove any sticky tape, labels etc. as these don't rot.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes as a fellow allotment holder I agree about carpet - it probably wasn't the best suggestion. I do successfully use old carpet on the allotment though. One use is to just chuck it down on any area which is getting too weedy and I can't get to deal with and the other is to cover my compost heap. Agree keeping on top of stray threads is essential.

For our friend in Kent I'll offer a better suggestion. Old cardboard boxes covered with bark etc. The cardboard will happily rot down in the first winter. Be sure to remove any sticky tape, labels etc. as these don't rot.

So what dig up all the earth/compost 6" down, lay cardboard, then shovel it all back on top?

So what dig up all the earth/compost 6" down, lay cardboard, then shovel it all back on top?

Think you mean to dig down about a spade's depth, remove hardcore and break up soil and then put the cardboard / bark / whatever ***on the surface*** to stop weeds growing. If you've still only got the 480 compost, I'd not spread it all over, just dig a decent hole wherever you're putting a shrub in and dig in a decent amount of compost around its roots.
Unless weeds are really a problem, you may not really need the cardboard / bark / ... Breaking up the soil, removing hardcore and adding a decent amount of compost around the roots of whatever you plant are probably the main priorities.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

No that's a lot of work!

Spread your manure, rotted compost or whatever over the surface. Then dig or fork the area to a depth of 6-9" turning the soil so the top layer becomes the bottom. Literally push your spade or fork in to its depth, lift the soil up and turn spade over to let the soil fall back in. This helps to incorporate the manure into the soil, breaks up the soil if it's compacted and so improves drainage and aeration - it's very important to get air into soil as this helps prevent waterlogging.

After this lay your cardboard, carpet or whatever on the soil surface and cover with wood chip, bark etc to surpress weed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Some improvement
image.jpeg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What she said.... Gourmet food for slugs and snails....
+1 ... and the seasonal patterns we're getting are pretty well ideal for slugs and snails. Mild winters don't kill 'em off, and wet springs/summers are slugs' idea of seventh heaven. :sad:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes we are trying to grow watercress this year and we discovered that our one footed "friends", also might like it too based on the sudden reduction in our already minute crop!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have plenty of hostas but have never had a problem with the slugs eating them. I do a 5 minute slug patrol every couple of nights in the summer and the hostas are great,

Top Bottom