Gardeners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
So it looks like everything died months ago.

A few google searches and there's a suggestion I could plant confused and evergreens at this time of year.
IMG_7248.JPG

Homebase are selling a few cypresses
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/garden/trees-conifers-and-hedging/conifers-110

Can a buy a few of the small ones and walk away?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So it looks like everything died months ago.

A few google searches and there's a suggestion I could plant confused and evergreens at this time of year.
View attachment 148080

Homebase are selling a few cypresses
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/garden/trees-conifers-and-hedging/conifers-110

Can a buy a few of the small ones and walk away?

So long as you water them until established. Don't forget, what is sold as a dwarf conifer in a 2-3 litre pot will turn into a 10-15' monster in 10 years.
How bid is the space? Looking at it, I'd stick to just one.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
So long as you water them until established. Don't forget, what is sold as a dwarf conifer in a 2-3 litre pot will turn into a 10-15' monster in 10 years.

I'd plant a hardy fuscia next spring. that space is just big enough for a conifer's trunk.

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I would put a small ornamental tree in a pot or wooden planter as a focal point.
Then put smaller plants around it that can be easily changed for colour and interest throughout the year.
image.jpeg

Depends on shade, soil type, etc. Eg I can't grow Rhodedendron in the ground but the one I bought in June and put in a pot has almost doubled in size. My little trees are a palm, spiral bay and monkey puzzle

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

The Homebase says:
  • Eventual height: 60cm
  • Eventual width: 60cm
So I would be looking at getting a selection and stuff them in now.

There were nasturtiums there in July.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The Homebase says:
  • Eventual height: 60cm
  • Eventual width: 60cm
So I would be looking at getting a selection and stuff them in now.

There were nasturtiums there in July.

That's bollocks, that's Homebase!

What eventual shape would you like? I assume you want maintenance free and evergreen?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Is a Berberis an evergreen or conifer? I'm trying to take this advice:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module8/key_jobs_for_autumn1.shtml

Early Autumn
  • Plant or move evergreensand conifers, while the soil is still warm
  • Plant spring bedding, such as wallflowers and polyanthus
  • Plant spring bulbs
Mid
  • Tidy perennials, removing dead stems but leaving seed-heads for birds to eat
  • Plant deciduous trees, shrubs and climbers
Late
  • Plant shrubs, roses and hedging plants sold with bare roots
  • Plant tulips and hyacinths
  • Take hardwood cuttings from shrubs and roses

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Stick in a Berberis, ok it's deciduous but generally bullet proof:smile:

Shaun

Hmm:

Poor old berberis is the most despised of garden plants – routinely exiled to the outer reaches of supermarket car-parks and the central reservation of motorways, spiny and unloved, valued only as a communal litter-trap or burglarproof hedge. - Telegraph

midlife

Guru
Hmm:

Poor old berberis is the most despised of garden plants – routinely exiled to the outer reaches of supermarket car-parks and the central reservation of motorways, spiny and unloved, valued only as a communal litter-trap or burglarproof hedge. - Telegraph

Yep, the good old Berberis Thumbergi (spelling?) With the spikes. There are other varieties which look better but still like an Exocet....plant and forget :smile:

Shaun

Unfortunately many of the Berberis varieties will eventually outgrow the space in the photo unless its something like Berberis thunbergii Atropurpurea Nana. There are far better options available (in my humble opinion) such as Cornus sanguinea Midwinter Fire. A deciduous shrub which you grow for autumn/winter interest. The leaves turn bright yellow in Autumn followed by orange/red/yellow stems in winter. You coppice the shrub every one or two years depending on how fast it grows to ensure colorful stems and so it does not outgrow its allotted space ( you will need a pair of secateurs to do the pruning). Spring summer its a pretty boring green leaved shrub so I would plant towards the front with something like Euonymus Silver Queen or Emerald Gaiety and in the spaces between groups of dwarf Narcissus (Daffodil) or Muscari (Grape Hyacinth) for spring and lillies or ornamental allium for summer interest.

Try to get as much stone out as you can and improve the soil as mentioned previously. Do not forget whatever you plant remember to water them in periods of prolonged dry or hot weather, at least for the first growing season.

keithmac

Guru
Laurels are practically unkillable!, I cut ours back to the root and it came back again. Had to dig it out in the end, roots went down a good 4'..

20130407_140955.jpg

Top Bottom