Garmin Edge 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Having bought a bike, and taking advice of this forum I have decided to buy the edge 500 as my computer.

The reason I'm edging to this device is the ability for cadence, speed and HR capability.

My main question regarding this device is the extent of its GPS capability, I understand that it can't be used for live route making but routes can be loaded onto it from a PC. How + How well does it work? I've heard the word 'breadcrumbs' mentioned relating to this unit, what does that mean?

Basically, I'd like for someone who knows how this works to explain the GPS functionality to me in a simple way!

Thanks.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You make a route in a mapping site like ridewithgps or bikehike.
Save route as a tcx file, then transfer to your Garmin

What you will get is a black line that you follow. Like this
garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review-88.jpg

It's as simple as that.
If you go off course then it will tell you.
Takes a little while to get used to but once you do it's very easy to follow.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
You make a route in a mapping site like ridewithgps or bikehike.
Save route as a tcx file, then transfer to your Garmin

What you will get is a black line that you follow. Like this
garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review-88.jpg

It's as simple as that.
If you go off course then it will tell you.
Takes a little while to get used to but once you do it's very easy to follow.

Thanks for that. Probably best to map out a few local routes that I'm familiar with at first and gain a bit of confidence and knowledge of the unit before venturing on roads I don't know.

Can routes be entered to it via an android tablet? Any idea?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Can routes be entered to it via an android tablet? Any idea?
Depends - you'd still have to export the route to a file, and then load that to the Garmin. You'd only be able to load the route to the Garmin if your tablet can act as a USB host (you may also need a different sort of USB lead, I can't remember that bit).

On the 800, new courses have to be placed in "New Files", not "Courses" (somewhat counter intuitively).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Depends - you'd still have to export the route to a file, and then load that to the Garmin. You'd only be able to load the route to the Garmin if your tablet can act as a USB host (you may also need a different sort of USB lead, I can't remember that bit).

On the 800, new courses have to be placed in "New Files", not "Courses" (somewhat counter intuitively).

Same as for the 500

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
I have a nexus 10 which has a micro USB. I'll have to take a look as I have no idea weather it can be used at a host. Only really used it as a web browsing, app device before.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Looks like if I root my N10 I can according to this. Seems a bit of a faff but I rarely use my laptop as its old and temprimental.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?34315-Garmin-connect-with-android-tablet

Top Bottom