Genesis datum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
anyone got one ? I was looking at one yesterday, seems a very good all rounder. I know it's carbon not steel as per usual Genesis but the red paint job and quality looked very good.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Emily Chappell used one in the Transcontinental race last year. She didnt finish but it was no fault of the bikes. I believe she has changed bikes now.

I like them as well, but to be honest I struggle to work out why its that much more expensive than the planet x gravel bikes offering. Even the geometry is pretty much the same, I think the chainstays are 5mm longer and the tt about 3mm.

What I cannot find is the weight of the built up bike.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They are a bit pricey - black looks dull and the red looks lovely but the black has the spec' I would like.

Covered this on another thread but I have asked Genesis if they could do the higher spec' in red. At least one member on here (@Dirk Thrust)said their dealer could do this but this is the reply I got from Genesis today coincidently:

Thanks for your email, hope that you're well.

Unfortunately we are unable to process requests for custom frame colours at this point, or offer any service to alter the colour of a current bike. `

Sorry that we couldn't help on this occasion, please let us know if you need any further information.

Sportline Bike Team

Last edited:
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Agreed the red looks best. I didn't realise it was tiagra, £1700 would have expected at least 105 or possibly ultegra for that money :wacko:
I like Genesis bikes though.

Booyaa

Veteran
They are a bit pricey - black looks dull and the red looks lovely but the black has the spec' I would like.

Covered this on another thread but I have asked Genesis if they could do the higher spec' in red. At least one member on here said their dealer could do this but this is the reply I got from Genesis today coincidently:

Unfortunately we are unable to process requests for custom frame colours at this point, or offer any service to alter the colour of a current bike. `

Sorry that we couldn't help on this occasion, please let us know if you need any further information.

Sportline Bike Team
That is pretty poor from them, I would have expected a bit more help. Are the frames the same geometry etc? Just a different colour with different components?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I like them as well, but to be honest I struggle to work out why its that much more expensive than the planet x gravel bikes offering. Even the geometry is pretty much the same, I think the chainstays are 5mm longer and the tt about 3mm.

Planet X's gravel bikes are open mould frames. They didn't design them, or specify anything about those frames, they just buy them as is from the Far East and apply the Viner/PX/Tomac decals. Genesis created the Datum themselves & the design is entirely unique to them. Not a fair comparison. And C+ weren't very impressed with their 'Viner' test bike (quote marks deliberate, it's not Italian in any way shape or form).

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Planet X's gravel bikes are open mould frames. They didn't design them, or specify anything about those frames, they just buy them as is from the Far East and apply the Viner/PX/Tomac decals. Genesis created the Datum themselves & the design is entirely unique to them. Not a fair comparison. And C+ weren't very impressed with their 'Viner' test bike (quote marks deliberate, it's not Italian in any way shape or form).

Good point.

I don't know how long you've spent looking but they're listed on the Genesis and Planet X websites....

Covered this on another thread but I have asked Genesis if they could do the higher spec' in red. At least one member on here (@Dirk Thrust)said their dealer could do this but this is the reply I got from Genesis today coincidently:

Sportline Bike Team

That's weak - they're talking about a custom frame colour but all you're requesting is a standard frame with a different set of components bolted on. Have you tried speaking to someone on the phone? You might get more joy that way.

Having seen all 3 in the metal I'd say the red looks fantastic, the other 2 less so. The spec level would put me off though. They have the same wheels as my Equilibrium which cost £700 less than the Datum 10 and 1/3 of the price of the Datum 30. And not wheels that I'd be quick to recommend at that!

Last edited:
samsbike said:
I don't know how long you've spent looking but they're listed on the Genesis and Planet X websites....

care to enlighten me?

Top Bottom