Genesis Day01 Alfine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's very pretty but of course not as good as my Alfine Cotic Roadrat :biggrin:

That's all seatpost and no bike!! :smile:

Did you get an export licence for that tea?

kd48

On the subject of the brakes rotors being misaligned with the pads.

I just got my Day 01 Alfine and took a close look at it and there is a fair bit of overlap with the brake pads and the rotor legs (5mm).

I repositioned the brake calipers by flipping the brake mount adaptor on the front and moving the caliper on the sliding mounts at the back. This gets the bottom of the pad in line with the inner edge of the rotor braking surface.

Only been on short test runs, but it seems okay. Don't know what it means warranty wise.

If this isn't a good fix I'll post up.

Hope this helps.
thumbsup.png

Lerxt

I just got my Day 01 Alfine and took a close look at it and there is a fair bit of overlap with the brake pads and the rotor legs (5mm).

I repositioned the brake calipers by flipping the brake mount adaptor on the front and moving the caliper on the sliding mounts at the back. This gets the bottom of the pad in line with the inner edge of the rotor braking surface.

Only been on short test runs, but it seems okay. Don't know what it means warranty wise.

Hope this helps.
thumbsup.png

Interesting. Did you get any judder before the switch? I hope this sorts the problem out for you. I wonder why Genesis didn't think of this when I sent the bike back (or the lbs for that matter). Still it's not good that you've had to modify/adapt a brand new bike like this. After all, it's not a cheap bike!

I've contacted Genesis twice via their online form and I've still not heard anything from them, this despite their promise to get back to contacts within two working days. I'm not impressed with their customer service, especially since I could have so easily come a cropper. In all honesty it's soured my impression of the company really, I expected better.

Having said this the bike is riding like a dream now and I'm really enjoying riding it to work everyday. I like the Alfine gears though I'm still getting used to them and might change the chainwheel eventually as I tend to spin-out on the highest gear.

Cheers,

L.

tgot some new Shimano brakes fitted at no cost.

zigzag

Veteran

Hope this helps.
thumbsup.png

when i tried using tektro brakes with shimano discs, it worked, but was noisier and i could feel some judder. after close inspection i realised that tektro brake pads are wider and rub on rotor legs. switched back to tektro rotor and it certainly works better. shimano rotor wear can be seen in a pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.JPG
    IMG_6577.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 109

kd48

Interesting. Did you get any judder before the switch? I hope this sorts the problem out for you. I wonder why Genesis didn't think of this when I sent the bike back (or the lbs for that matter). Still it's not good that you've had to modify/adapt a brand new bike like this. After all, it's not a cheap bike!

I've contacted Genesis twice via their online form and I've still not heard anything from them, this despite their promise to get back to contacts within two working days. I'm not impressed with their customer service, especially since I could have so easily come a cropper. In all honesty it's soured my impression of the company really, I expected better.

Having said this the bike is riding like a dream now and I'm really enjoying riding it to work everyday. I like the Alfine gears though I'm still getting used to them and might change the chainwheel eventually as I tend to spin-out on the highest gear.

Cheers,

L.

tgot some new Shimano brakes fitted at no cost.

Got a little bit of judder, but I may just have been looking for it after reading your post.

I've had problems with Genesis getting back to me when I've sent messages via their Contact Us email, you're right it's not good.
I'm also still waiting for the saddle and seatpost to turn up. I bought the bike through my company's Cycle2Work scheme which is administered by Halfords - so I had to collect it from one of their stores. When the guy wheeled it out for me to collect it had no saddle and post, when I queried this with him he said "They don't come with saddles and posts"
wacko.gif
I put him straight on this point and he's now ordered replacements from Genesis.

So, I'm not overly impressed with either Genesis or Halfords, but hey ho - got a great bike at a great price(C2W) and now I believe there won't be any more brought in to the country until next year. So, exclusive too.

Cheers

K

Lerxt

[QUOTE 1204603"]
This brake problem -isn't it just because they're using the wrong adaptors?
[/quote]

Maybe, but Genesis should get their act together and sort this out rather than leaving it to their customers and the bike shops to sort the problem. Bad PR as far as I'm concerned.

L.

james-o

Hi All,

Just been pointed to this thread - firstly apologies about the contact section on our site, we've changed the hosting and a whole load of things that tbh I don't understand but the end result is that a load of mails have been sent through and we're not sure where they've been directed to. Genesis is esentially just me with the support of our distributors Madison and their warranty team, so sometimes reported issues don't come back to me immediately but when they do they are acted on.

I'm looking into the brake pad area vs rotor area now. Some juddering will occur at the front and this is normal on any bike with a slim fork and a strong front brake, dependant on braking load, rider+luggage weight etc - the solution is a very stiff fork but that's not ideal either. We've used that fork on the Croix de Fer bike for years now w/o issue although I know that the fork will spring under hard braking to some extent. Judder won't be only because the pads extend below the main rotor area alone, as many brakes do this, it will be down to how the transition between the rotor spars and main area happens or a variation in braking force and that's what I'm looking for.

Any enquiries should go to enquiries@genesisbikes.co.uk for now, I do aim to get back to everyone within a couple of days where possible but there is a backlog at the moment - apologies, bear with us! )

When it comes to warranty issues, we will always resolve these via a retailer - this is why we sell via retailers, as they can add a level of service that is important to us.

Cheers
James/ Genesis

james-o

OK after another brake-test on a bike from production I'd still say any juddering I can feel is from fork flex rather than the pad/rotor contact area and there wasn't anything unexpected happening. I did repeated front-brake emergency stops with flat pedals on a 52cm bike so I could really lean on the brake (I'm 12 1/2St and 6ft and usually ride a 58cm). The fork flex / judder under really heavy braking is at a much lower frequency than the speed that the rotor spars pass the pads, and is the same flex I can feel on the Croix de Fer that uses a Shimano caliper. My MTB suspension forks also judder / flex a bit under really heavy front braking, I don't think this is anything unusual as some flex is essential in any fork. Looking at the pad / rotor contact, the pads on this bike could sit outward by 1-1.25mm so being sure that the bike is rocked fwd on the front brake before tightening the bolts is good practice, a washer between caliper and adapter can also help if mount's aren't perfect but I didn't feel it was required here. When specifying and then test riding the bike we didn't feel that the pad / rotor were incompatible as the whole pad is in contact and no 'ridging' occurs.

Can anyone mentioning the judder here mail me so I can get more more info from you? Thanks

James

Lerxt

OK after another brake-test on a bike from production I'd still say any juddering I can feel is from fork flex rather than the pad/rotor contact area and there wasn't anything unexpected happening. I did repeated front-brake emergency stops with flat pedals on a 52cm bike so I could really lean on the brake (I'm 12 1/2St and 6ft and usually ride a 58cm). The fork flex / judder under really heavy braking is at a much lower frequency than the speed that the rotor spars pass the pads, and is the same flex I can feel on the Croix de Fer that uses a Shimano caliper. My MTB suspension forks also judder / flex a bit under really heavy front braking, I don't think this is anything unusual as some flex is essential in any fork. Looking at the pad / rotor contact, the pads on this bike could sit outward by 1-1.25mm so being sure that the bike is rocked fwd on the front brake before tightening the bolts is good practice, a washer between caliper and adapter can also help if mount's aren't perfect but I didn't feel it was required here. When specifying and then test riding the bike we didn't feel that the pad / rotor were incompatible as the whole pad is in contact and no 'ridging' occurs.

Can anyone mentioning the judder here mail me so I can get more more info from you? Thanks

James

Thanks for this. Email sent.

L.

kd48

Got a little bit of judder, but I may just have been looking for it after reading your post.

I've had problems with Genesis getting back to me when I've sent messages via their Contact Us email, you're right it's not good.
I'm also still waiting for the saddle and seatpost to turn up. I bought the bike through my company's Cycle2Work scheme which is administered by Halfords - so I had to collect it from one of their stores. When the guy wheeled it out for me to collect it had no saddle and post, when I queried this with him he said "They don't come with saddles and posts"
wacko.gif
I put him straight on this point and he's now ordered replacements from Genesis.

So, I'm not overly impressed with either Genesis or Halfords, but hey ho - got a great bike at a great price(C2W) and now I believe there won't be any more brought in to the country until next year. So, exclusive too.

Cheers

K

Both Halfords and Genesis seem to have redeemed themselves.

The guy from Halfords actually delivered the missing saddle and seatpost to my door. Excellent work - Darren from the Perth store.

And James' reply about the brake issue or not issue and their e-mail challenges has put my mind at ease, if I get any problems - I know who to contact.

Now, all I need is for it to stop raining here and I can get out and ride.

Cheers

Kenny

crumpetman

That's a nice bike Gaz, just curious but how do you secure your rear light to the carradice bag? I can't find a way of getting it to stay fixed in one place. It wobbles and slides about a bit.

Top Bottom