GENESIS EQUILIBRIUM DISC 20 - Any Opinions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No direct experience, but Genesis bikes are well thought of on here and there does seem to be decent, genuine discounts on 2016 models.

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

broady

Veteran
I was looking at getting that very bike until an older one came up in the for sale section on here and I went for that instead.
Took a lot for me to seriously consider buying a new bike and it ticked almost every box.

Its a lovely looking bike and ride. I think the disc version is a bit heavier. I am not sure how wide you can go with tires and guards though.

At that price its a no brainer

I love my 2015 Eq Disc 10, if that helps.

39Holme Moss4.JPG

I'm closing in on 6,000 miles and it's been both solid and fun to ride. I have had an issue with the rear hub on those Fulcrum wheels, but that aside the bike is a gem. Mine gets used for commuting and light touring, but I also manage to keep up with the aero/carbon brigade on our local road club rides on it.

I personally find the 2016 colour schemes underwhelming but for a 725 frame with 105 running gear, semi-hydro brakes, pre-fitted guards and Genesis build quality, that looks like a seriously good deal to me.

Jockulele

I'm looking at this as an upgrade/ replacement for my Spesh Allez E5 as it has a better groupset and wider tyres as standard. Do you think the difference would be noticeable?
For info I'm lardy ( 100kg) and do 80ish miles a week as part of my fitness campaign . I'll never be a racer but would still like to improve my average speed currently at about 14m/hr.

mythste

Veteran
I have the 2015 edition and It's my go to bike for most everything.

Wonderful all round performer, super comfortable. I notice the new one has a slightly different fork profile so I'm not sure how or if that would affect the feel of things.

Do some research on the TRP HY-RD brakes. They are great, but generally counter intuitive to maintain.

mythste

Veteran
I'm looking at this as an upgrade/ replacement for my Spesh Allez E5 as it has a better groupset and wider tyres as standard. Do you think the difference would be noticeable?
For info I'm lardy ( 100kg) and do 80ish miles a week as part of my fitness campaign . I'll never be a racer but would still like to improve my average speed currently at about 14m/hr.

Weight shouldnt be a problem, I just took mine a few hundred miles around the coast of wales on 25c tyres with 20kg of gear strapped to the back. Not so much as a grumble. Handling was... interesting. But no mechanical complaints!

Bicykell

I bought my Equilibrium Disc 20 at Arragons in Penrith. Lovely bike - I tried a Ridley x trail carbon that left me somewhat underwhelmed. It's a lovely, smooth ride - a classic winter bike. Not for the speed merchant, but if you are into cycling for enjoyment it should be on your short list.
One snag is that my feet catch the front wheel on tight corners if I forget.
The TRP brakes are fine, though no better than the rim brakes on my Look 566. I am still to be convinced about how fab disc brakes are over rims.

Top Bottom