Genesis make a wrong 'un

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I like Genesis bikes. I really do. The bike that got me back into cycling a few years ago was a CdF and I love it. OK, it has its flaws, it's a bit heavy and the paint falls off it if you even so much as look at it, but it gets me to work, carries my shopping, keeps me riding through winter and has accompanied me on the odd sportive and Audax. I like Genesis' way with design, their traditional style of frame and branding. I like their use of steel, and aluminium, and latterly titanium. They build classy looking machines and they're a good British brand.

Of course then they decided they wanted a race team, so they had to build a carbon bike, the Zero. And I thought it wasn't too bad. Not as classy looking as an Equilibrium, but still alright.

Now someone's let them at the carbon again. And what have they made? The Genesis Datum:
side-edit.jpg

It's absolutely hideous! It's all wonky with stupid shaped tubes. It looks like they've taken a leaf out of Giant's style book, and Giant are a brand who know how to make an ugly bike. In the blog:
http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/28/06/15/un-gravelling-the-new-datum
they describe it as a "gravel grinder", but seem keen to remind you that it's a road bike based on the Equilibrium. The main selling point seems to be the larger tyres and ability on gravel and bridleways, despite the fact that it's definitely a road bike. And no mention of the Croix de Fer, which would seem to be the most similar steel framed bike in the range and would make a better comparison.

I don't like it. Go on, tell me I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I like it.

I'm generally not a fan of that style and this is no different but some people like it. hard to tell from a picture too. Often looks different in the flesh.

Fugly as a Nissan juke (or "joke" as I like to call'em); it looks as if they used so much carbon on the front end that they had to economise on the rear!

(edit) your issue with it is not so much the style in itself I feel, as the fact that it's made by genesis who are better known for "trad" styled bikes

mythste

Veteran
awh man. I had my eyes on a Genesis Zero for my N+1 - I thought it was a gorgeous design! If this is the replcement its back to the drawing board, the zero was hard enough to find in stock as it is.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
So what do the likers like about it? Is it the concept or the style? I have to say I like the idea behind it, a road bike you can ride off road, but that's what I thought a Croix de Fer was for. Genesis seem very keen to make sure you know that this is a road bike, although it looks as though they might have a more off-roady one to announce soon.

Mismatched axle sizes? Is that a thing? Seems overcomplicated. Also seems quite expensive but I suppose that's carbon for you.

The more I look at it, the more I like it.
Is it Di2?

Top of the range is Ultegra Di2, £3200
Mid range is 105, £2100
Bottom of the range is Tiagra, £1800

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The only thing I don't like about it is the (too) large range cassette and the long cage rear dérailleur. But that's easy changeable.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
awh man. I had my eyes on a Genesis Zero for my N+1 - I thought it was a gorgeous design! If this is the replcement its back to the drawing board, the zero was hard enough to find in stock as it is.
It's not an out and out racer so probably not a replacement for the Zero.

Top Bottom