Genesis stolen - can you help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nico

Hi there, my Croix de Fer was stolen a couple of weeks ago. A few days later I found it on eBay, I immediately told the police (London Met Cycle Task Force) to get it back and chances were pretty high. Before the police took any action the bike was sold to a genuine buyer. The police got in touch with both seller and buyer, but eventually the seller never shipped the bike and is now neglecting to disclose where it is, clearly it is against his interest as he would be prosecuted. Unfortunately the police cannot do anything more to find the bike since there is not enough evidence, had I not done anything they would now get it back from the buyer easily! I'm in tears...

fossala

Guru
Damn, sorry to here that mate. Pictures that are up to date with any extras you have put on the bike. Serial number is the best one to keep around, it's located on the bottom bracket shell. Ask the police what enough evidence would be and ask them why they think it is alright to pick and choose which crimes they persue!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup, sorry to hear about this.

But what I would have done.. is won the bid and gone round to pick it up. With few handy mates.
Not advocating this type of action to everyone. But it's what I would have done.

There is a lesson to be learned which Fossala has posted above. Photo the bike, make a note and photo the serial number and photo any distinguishing marks, scratches etc.

Also register your bike on the Bike Register database.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nico

Thanks guys, the problem though is not recognising the bike here but forcing the seller to tell where it is. It is a catch 22 as the judge would allow to arrest the seller without finding the bike first. The police agree it is my bike, there were some protection stickers on it (clearly visible on eBay) and more importantly one spoke had a different colour from the others, I could not find a black replacement so I had a silver one installed. The police could have won the bid and get it but it was sold too quickly! I also thought about winning the bid myself but the bike was sold soon after I saw it.

jai

this really seems unfair, i like ianrauk response, bike cant be too far from the address...our law need changing if the police cant do anything, pathetic

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nico, it is not for the police to go bidding on e bay for your bike, that is up to you to sort out. The reason why this guy will not tell the police where the bike is hidden, is because he probably has a lockup with a load of stolen bikes in it. But I am surprised that he not being changed with handling stolen goods, at least. If he hasposted photos of your bike he has obviously handled it.

What details of him or his e Bay account do you have?

I saw a clever thing on e Bay recently.

Someone posted lots of photos of their bike in the for sale section. But it was not for sale it had been stolen. It was a good way of letting everyone know it had been stolen and what it looked like.

Steve

OP
OP
N

Nico

Thanks Steve, the Met has a team of 30 people dealing with bike related crime, there were many success cases where they won the eBay bid and retrieved the bike. That would have saved me the hassle of paying £850 and going through the refund process with Paypal etc.

I know the seller's nickname and eBay item number, is there anything else that can be done?

I have some pictures I can post here.

fossala

Guru
Thanks Steve, the Met has a team of 30 people dealing with bike related crime, there were many success cases where they won the eBay bid and retrieved the bike. That would have saved me the hassle of paying £850 and going through the refund process with Paypal etc.

I know the seller's nickname and eBay item number, is there anything else that can be done?

I have some pictures I can post here.
Where abouts in the country is it? Maybe some of us could go down heavy handed and get it back if you can get some info on him.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has it been relisted by any chance. A number of us bidding on it, from different areas of the country may make the greed come out.

eBay item number: 300967643378

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Nico,

I would suggest you post the photos and let us know his e Bay name and the item number.

Where in the country was it being sold?

There are 2 on e Bay now.

Steve

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say any photo's with distinguishing marks not be posted & don't put the frame number up.

Ebay item number if you don't mind. Then start a bidding war, if either is yours. One of us has to win it.

OP
OP
N

Nico

I'm afraid it's not the one mentioned. This is the eBay item number 181213713048 and it was sold almost two weeks ago. Note the silver spoke clearly visible on the third picture. The seller is still happily trading as you can see.

Crankarm

Guru
I would make a complaint to the police regarding their sloth. Or alternatively tell them you have found out where the seller lives and are going to visit him to get your bike back and will use your baseball bat if you have to. Suggest they come with you to avoid a breach of the peace or the need for an ambulance. Also the police should be forcing Ebay to disclose all information they have on this seller then following it up.

How about you bid on one his other auctions - win the bike then go around to collect it, with NO intention of paying for this bike as it will not be yours and stolen, and take a baseball bat and mates with you should he be reluctant to provide you with the name and address of the person he sold your bike to. You could tell the police if you think they could be bothered to turn up. Shocking indolence on their part yet again.

Top Bottom