Getting started!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matth411

Veteran
Try padded shorts before shelling out for a new saddle. My saddle was hurting when I started, and with it coming into winter I opted for Aldi's "cycling trousers" or padded tights as they are better known. Eventually, my backside got used to the different pressures and now I can ride without them. So much cheaper than a saddle, unless it is really bad.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
OP
OP
Jonathan Airey
Thank you so much. This place has rekindled my faith in people. Did not know what to expect. People actually replying and giving advice? I love it. Thank you again

Jonny

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Oh the pain when you start! There seems no end or answer to it. You need good padded shorts to start with, but the best fix is tail toughening miles on the saddle. That said, I also helped my problem by changing to a Charge Spoon, one of two saddles purchased s/h on ebay. The other was a Selle Italia with squidgy gel padding. I keep trying the original saddle (Boardman), but it's the Spoon that works for me. You could do a lot worse than finding a bike shop with a measuring set up for your posterior and see what width of perch is likely to suit.

OP
OP
Jonathan Airey
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I am on it. Charge Spoon sounds good. I have had 'horror ass' many times. The price of inconsistent bike training. I shame myself. Your ass never lies!
Thanks again

Jonny

MikeG

Guru
You're going to need to do 200 miles on a saddle before you can be sure it is or isn't right for you. That's a helluva long time if your backside isn't yet broken in! I've ridden tens of thousands of miles, including a Land's End to John O'Groats ride, in the last few years, and yet when I recently bought a new bike I went through 4 saddles before I found something I could cope with (yep, the Charge Spoon, as above). Don't expect saddle choice to be easy, especially if you haven't done much riding in the past.....you've got to toughen up your backside even if you find the most perfect saddle, and like any training, that takes some time.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Having recently been through this, I echo what others have said.
Good padded shorts are a must (no underwear!), make sure they fit you well as if they are a bit loose they'll rub.
I eventually changed my saddle too - the guys on here were very helpful!
Having said that, you will toughen up in time. The first few weeks were painful and then as I lost weight I was sore because my undershorts were too big!
Keep at it and keep asking here....lots of good advice and lots of great people!

Bryony

Veteran
+1 for padded shorts!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When you're not used to cycling, or just returning to it after a long break, you'll find your rear end has little tolerance for the longer rides. Only more riding will cure that: in other words, you'll get used to it and over time you'll be able to go on longer and longer rides before your butt starts to complain.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
A saddle will not get to feel better over time if it doesn't fit your sit bones, or ischial tuberosities . In my case, even though I am large, I use a small, very slightly padded saddle due to physical requirements. More padding, or gel saddles, only exacerbate this problem, even though you'd think the opposite would be the case. Nothing beats a saddle that fits, unless it is getting rid of a saddle that does not.

BrynCP

Über Member
If you dont like the idea of wearing tight lycra shorts you could look for something like this you could look for something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Padded-Coolmax-Bicycle-Cycling-Underwear/dp/B00J53HJ2A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1398428759&sr=8-7&keywords=cycling underwear padded
I have no idea what they are like but seem a good alternative. Im sure there are plenty of other brands that make the same sort of thing

I have two pairs of these which look to be similar http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baleaf-Cool..._sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VAXQJDG5J4HE8M5T3JB and I wear them under tracksuit bottoms.

They get mixed reviews, but for rides up to 15 miles they solved all my problems when I started out riding: numbness, pains etc. I still wear them today, but on longer rides I think there is just a bit too much padding that it starts to rub a bit, either that or similar to ScotiaLass, when I first bought those I was a 40/42" inch waist and 18 stone, I am now 38"/15 stone. I wear dhb aeron shorts now on longer rides (still under tracksuit bottoms:blush:) and they feel better.

Top Bottom