Giant Expressions stolen in Bournemouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slugonabike

I've been pretty inactive recently due to sciatica. Decided to take advantage of the beautiful day, load the bikes on the car and go for a gentle spin along the prom between Poole and Bournemouth. We realised partway there that we hadn't got the locks but decided to risk it.

Left the bikes on the racks opposite the pub and took rather longer than we expected over lunch because they were so busy. You know what I'm going to say, don't you?

This was my first bike and, despite it being rather heavy, I have loved it. I'm peed off with myself for risking it, and even more with the nasty, thieving, toerag who took it!

I'd just been reading something on here that made me think I ought to make a note of the frame number - but hadn't got round to it.

It's not a 'trendy' bike by any means so I have a faint hope that it might be dumped somehwere. Reported to police but, of course, house insurance will be invalidated because it was not properly secured.

Expression_DX_W.jpg

If anyone in the area sees one of these being sold in 'suspicious' circumstances, please pm me.

e-rider

crappy member
Theives will be more than happy with this so not much chance of it being dumped I'm afraid - easy to sell on for a few quid.

It is amazing that you can go anywhere in the UK and leave a bike unlocked for 30 minutes and it'll be stolen 100% of the time (and not just in city centres etc.). One can only conclude from this that the country we live in is full of theiving ba$tards - they can be found on every single street up and down the country!

Silly not to use a lock though - and if not using a lock you were even more stupid to take your eyes off of it, even for a minute!

OP
OP
slugonabike

slugonabike

Believe me, it's not a mistake I'll make again! Mr Slug has always laughed at me for locking it up - 'That's not the type of bike people want to steal'. This is one occasion when I'd like him to have been proved right.

potsy

Rambler
Today I have read of 3 bikes stolen,2 locked with cable locks and now 1 that wasn't even locked at all.
Why are we making it so easy for the thieving scrotes?
angry.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Today I have read of 3 bikes stolen,2 locked with cable locks and now 1 that wasn't even locked at all.
Why are we making it so easy for the thieving scrotes?
angry.gif

It is very sad and, like you, I find it frustrating, but I also get tired of the amount of times I read responses telling the person they were 'silly' or 'stupid'. I kind of work on the assumption that they're already beating themselves up over it and don't need salt in the wound.

The fact remains that most bike shops sell totally inadequate locks, many with dodgy 'sold secure' ratings, and few give out decent advice on locks. It's not a good selling point to tell a customer that they need to carry their own bodyweight in locks and, even then, probably best not leaving it anyway. Oh, and by the way, it'll cost you about another £200 in locks.

The police could do more, the bike owners could do more and the rest of us could make sure that we never buy things that could be hooky.

potsy

Rambler
It is very sad and, like you, I find it frustrating, but I also get tired of the amount of times I read responses telling the person they were 'silly' or 'stupid'. I kind of work on the assumption that they're already beating themselves up over it and don't need salt in the wound.

Yes I didn't mean to imply any of the OP's were stupid,just naive maybe.
I'm sure they are beating themselves up,but hopefully other people reading the threads that currently use cable locks will learn the easy way and not the hard way as so many have.
Here's hoping the bikes somehow find their way home,fingers crossed.
thumbsup.png

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Good luck - I hope it turns up and not too trashed... :sad:

I noticed yesterday down by the University (where we parked, actually paying for a parking meter - cos of my back/sciatic problems), that there were a row of chains actually attached to the cycle racks presumably just for students who didn't want to carry a chain but who were prepared to carry a padlock I presume. Who knows what you then do when you arrive and all the chains/racks are in use.

OP
OP
slugonabike

slugonabike

We only have cable locks anyway - again, Mr S is the eternal optimist and doesn't believe anything else is necessary. I have really enjoyed my Giant but it is pretty heavy, I think I might look for something lighter and then make up the difference with locks!

BTW, Summerdays, you have my sympathy! I'm currently awaiting an appointment with a spinal surgeon to see what can be done about my popped disc. Meanwhile I'm going back to w*rk tomorrow, just for a few hours a day, as my sick leave is rapidly running out and this doesn't look like being 'fixed' any time soon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We only have cable locks anyway - again, Mr S is the eternal optimist and doesn't believe anything else is necessary. I have really enjoyed my Giant but it is pretty heavy, I think I might look for something lighter and then make up the difference with locks!

BTW, Summerdays, you have my sympathy! I'm currently awaiting an appointment with a spinal surgeon to see what can be done about my popped disc. Meanwhile I'm going back to w*rk tomorrow, just for a few hours a day, as my sick leave is rapidly running out and this doesn't look like being 'fixed' any time soon.

Thanks for the sympathy .. although I'm probably wallowing in enough of my own sympathy (not quite the right word), pity for myself. I am managing to ride my bike a bit enough to get to work but my sister (my telephone osteopath) is worried that I might be trying to do too much so no bike yesterday. I'm hoping mine is a short lived thing but you suddenly realise the pain that others live with on a day to day basis.

OP
OP
slugonabike

slugonabike

Yep, I'm afraid I've been doing a fair amount of wallowing :blush: . I felt sooooooo much better for a gentle little ride in the fresh air and my physio and doc both gave me the go-ahead to continue as long as I didn't over do it. No danger of that now (oh look, there's more of that wallowing)!

OP
OP
slugonabike

slugonabike

When I got home from w*rk today there was a message from the poliss on my ansafone. They have found a bike that answers to HiHo's descrtiption. The person dealing with it is not in again til Wednesday so will will have to try and be patient, whilst keeping my fingers very firmly crossed. :hyper:

edit - how could I have mistyped his name??

Top Bottom