Giant Revolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil B

Hi I know these are fairly new and cant find any reviews on these so has anyone on here had the pleasure or not of owing one of these. I was looking at a Cyclo cross and a LBS suggested these, according to them Giant have introduced these as a halfway house between a hybrid and a cyclo cross

fossala

Guru
But I thought cyclocross bikes where already a "halfway house"...

Anyway, the seem to be "gravel bikes". This is what to America what cyclocross is over here. It just seems to be another way of selling another bike to people

Why don't you tell us what type of riding you have in mind and maybe we could help.

OP
OP
P

Phil B

But I thought cyclocross bikes where already a "halfway house"...

Anyway, the seem to be "gravel bikes". This is what to America what cyclocross is over here. It just seems to be another way of selling another bike to people

Why don't you tell us what type of riding you have in mind and maybe we could help.

Well TBH I have a hydrid at the Moment Boardman Comp also road bike Merlin Matt but hardly use that and just fancied a change with the cycle to work scheme, the issue I do have is that as a small **** it needs to be a 48cm . As say the LBS said was a halfway house not sure as the has drops

fossala

Guru
Well TBH I have a hydrid at the Moment Boardman Comp also road bike Merlin Matt but hardly use that and just fancied a change with the cycle to work scheme, the issue I do have is that as a small **** it needs to be a 48cm . As say the LBS said was a halfway house not sure as the has drops
If you don't use your road bike, why are you looking at "credit" to get another :rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

Phil B

As say fancy a change and thought rather than get a new Hybrid maybe could try a CX as mainly cycle on old used rail tracks/cycleways etc..use the Roady for getting to work now n then and for longer country road rides

felixspencer

I have just bought one of these - giant revolt 1 - as I wanted a light weight winter bike with the capability to join in some sportive style cyclocross events. a regular cyclocross bike would not have given me the elevated riding position which i have on my Giant defy road/sportive bike so I saw this bike as the perfect way to get off the tarmac and onto some farm tracks,forrest roads and bridleways. I havent recieved the bike yet as my LBS is'nt expecting delivery for a couple of weeks but I am really looking forward to giving it a go.

pumpadave

I really like the look of the revolt 2 (in my price range) had it weighed in the shop because no one lists the weight and was 11.4kg which i thought it isn't too bad would be change the tyres to 23"s though as i would be having it as a road bike

Cyclist33

i honestly cant see it being different enough to the boardman in terms of capability, performance or weight to make it worthwhile.

stu

Albert

Über Member
Mine arrived today. Revolt 1. Traded in a Crux Elite - nice bike, but lacks that certain something and now 2.5 years old, so bits beginning to wear out. The Crux is 1.5lbs lighter. I got a storming deal.
I haven't ridden it yet, as I'm getting it ready for life in the dirt - protective tape, dog fang , etc. - this pays off down the line.
First impressions: Beautifully put together and finished. Looks a lot better than the pictures suggest. A tad heavy at 22.5 lbs for my Medium sized one (10.3 kilos), but looks to be built for a hard life. Upright sitting position. Long compared to my TCR and Charge Juicer road bikes. The saddle is pretty short compared to my usual SLRs, but I will give it a try as it looks nice. Cables hanging about under the bottom bracket are a minus.

Albert

Über Member
OK. I have got it up and running and went on a decent ride today - 30 miles of all terrain with 2500ft of climbing - windy and wet..
Early Opinions. This is a substantial bike - cattle grids at speed? Not a rattle except for my teeth. The gears are well considered and shift with a nice firm click. The brakes improved throughout the ride. It is a very comfy and smooth ride (maybe even steel smooth) and the tyres roll well on the road. On gravel they are fine, but on mud, absolutely useless. The Giant saddle is comfy, but a bit of a lump, so I have put on my trusty SLR XP.
I haven't quite got myself into a perfect position yet, as the bike is quite long and I feel a little too stretched out - a new stem on the way.

Finally the weight! Its fighting weight is 12.2 kilos. Bike + cages; Garmin; rear light; pump; large saddle bag with spare tubes, tool, energy bars and ass saver short rear under-saddle mudguard.
For comparison my lovely steel Charge Juicer Audax bike is 11.8 kilos with all the above + SKS Mudguards and my TCR Advanced SL3 is 8.5 kilos all up.

First conclusions - this bike is basically an all day friendly MTB/Road hybrid that can probably do anything (within reason) pretty well. It is not a Cross bike. Although my previous Crux E5 was much sharper and lighter, it was also a much harsher bike and not at all "all day friendly"
It looks like I have a good companion to keep me happy during this winter in cold, wet, Wales.

Well today was the day. I finally picked up a Revolt 2 after 5 days of research and lists of questions. My background, I smoke, a little overweight and am not in the greatest shape but I was at one point. A long time ago I rode full suspensions threw the worst stuff imaginable. Times have changed I wanted something fast on the roads, comfortable to ride, but above all else something strong enough to deal with my crazy ideas about short cuts. This is also my first road bike so awesome super lightweight components where not on list, but reliability was. The fact that it could use larger tire sizes with the advantages of disc breaks all but sold me, but there where others. Research into the shimano Claris system revealed, it is entry level but its is reliable and long lasting, plus its one of there newest systems, my hope is the tech in the more expensive systems trickled down. The gearing is strange but smooth non the less, all the advantages without the cost. I took her for a extended test drive before buying, I highly recommend this before buying any bike. I bought her for city driving. In Calgary we have tons of pathways but because of our strange weather roads don't last long here neither do pathways. If you looking for speed on unknown roads I have found for 1000$ there is nothing better not by a long shot. This wouldn't be a good review if I didn't find something wrong with the bike. The name is stupid, its a terrible name, but an awesome bike.

Top Bottom