Giro Del Trentino-Melinda [spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Wasn't sure if this race merited its own thread, but here goes...

The newly-rechristened Giro del Trentino-Melinda starts today with a team time trial.

The race was billed as a face-off between Richie Porte and Fabio Aru, but the latter has dropped out due to illness, so it's just a case of who will come second...

...or is it?

No UK tv coverage that I can find, which is a bit disappointing.

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Well that was a turn up. TTT taken by Bora-Argon 18 who posted the same time as Team Sky (presumably it went to 10ths of seconds or they thumb-wrestled for it).

Stage 2 is billed as the queen stage with the beyond categorisation Passo Santa Barbara and a summit finish. Yum.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I suppose that cycling team sponsorship means something to someone somewhere but there are a lot of team names that mean nothing to me! I'm happy to live in blissful ignorance re Bora Argon (don't forget the 18) and a good win for a smaller team to beat Sky.

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I suppose that cycling team sponsorship means something to someone somewhere but there are a lot of team names that mean nothing to me! I'm happy to live in blissful ignorance re Bora Argon (don't forget the 18) and a good win for a smaller team to beat Sky.
Bora-Argon 18 are a pro continental team who were known as NetApp-Endura last season.

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I know that but I was referring to the nature of the sponsor's business.
AG2R being in the agricultural business, for instance!
Ah, sorry, I get you. If you watch cycling on Eurosport you can't escape Bora adverts. They make cooker extraction systems. Argon 18 are bike manufacturers from Canada. Strange bed fellows.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ah, sorry, I get you. If you watch cycling on Eurosport you can't escape Bora adverts. They make cooker extraction systems. Argon 18 are bike manufacturers from Canada. Strange bed fellows.
Ah yes, I remember the Bora ones now that you mention it. It sucks! Probably costs an arm and a leg too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you watch cycling on Eurosport you can't escape Bora adverts. They make cooker extraction systems.

Im sure they're great but the ads are terrible.

Argon 18 are bike manufacturers from Canada.

Very nice bikes they are too. The Nitrogen is especially lovely.

Strange bed fellows.

Stranger than a pharmaceutical company and a flooring manufacturer? Or a gambling organisation and a maker of sealants?

OP
OP
Berk on a Bike

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Well, with his main rivals out, it didn't look like Porte had much competition today.
Nope, he didn't. Sky set a blistering tempo up the final climb and Porte countered a gutsy attack by Stefano Pirazzi in the final few kms. No one could then catch the Tasmanian.

Stage 3 is less vertiginous than stage 2 but lumpy nonetheless with another summit finish. I can't see Porte relinquishing the lead here.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Nope, he didn't. Sky set a blistering tempo up the final climb and Porte countered a gutsy attack by Stefano Pirazzi in the final few kms. No one could then catch the Tasmanian.

Stage 3 is less vertiginous than stage 2 but lumpy nonetheless with another summit finish. I can't see Porte relinquishing the lead here.

Yes, just watching it now. Pretty impressive, but not surprisingly so. Konig looks like he is an important addition to the Sky mountains squad. Also good to see Kudus up there until near the end, but I was disappointed he couldn't impress himself more on this stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom