Giro d'Italia 2015 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Muddled tactics from Astana.

Giuseppe Martinelli was interviewed on Eurosport a few hours ago and said something along the lines of "each man for himself" and "wanting to win the stage" for today's stage - free reign to show how well the doping has impacted on their ability they can ride when allowed to race for themselves?

Giuseppe Martinelli was interviewed on Eurosport a few hours ago and said something along the lines of "each man for himself" and "wanting to win the stage" for today's stage - free reign to show how well the doping has impacted on their ability they can ride when allowed to race for themselves?
So why call Landa back?

sleaver

Veteran
Wasn't Kengert actually helping Contador by sitting in his well? I though having someone behind actually helps make the air flow less turbulent behind you or is that less pronounced on climbs just like you gain less by sitting in someone's wheel?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We should have a witchfinder debrief after tomorrow's stage.

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
We should have a witchfinder debrief after tomorrow's stage.

upload_2015-5-30_17-0-37.jpeg

400bhp

Guru
Not at all. It was a classic 'tag-team' double attack. Super-dom goes first to try to break the opponent, and then the leader goes once the opponent looks done in.

Agree, but for moments it did look like they didn't know what they were doing.

Putting 2 mins into contador on one stage is not to be sniffed at.

Wouldn't put it past Astana to knock Contador off tomorrow.:whistle:

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Greg Lemond seemed to think that Astana made an arse of it, and reckoned if they had worked as a team they could have seriously left Dirty Bertie in trouble. Which goes back to my earlier post that Astana's manager said before the start that they would ride as individuals...maybe they had given up on being able to distance him? Whatever it was, they are still a shower of doping twats. I can see myself going back to my "not watching this lot of cheating daffodils" approach like I did in the 90s at this rate...

Not at all. It was a classic 'tag-team' double attack. Super-dom goes first to try to break the opponent, and then the leader goes once the opponent looks done in.
It didn't look classic to me, it looked like Landa meant to win the stage and was subsequently called back, indeed he's said so since. Astana could quite possibly have won the Giro with Landa, Greg Lemond also questioned their tactics, specifically today but also in general.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It didn't look classic to me, it looked like Landa meant to win the stage and was subsequently called back, indeed he's said so since. Astana could quite possibly have won the Giro with Landa, Greg Lemond also questioned their tactics, specifically today but also in general.

Landa might well have won it had he been leader from the start, I agree. And I guess I'll have to take his word for it on the stage. But if I was managing Astana, and Aru was the leader, then I would have done exactly what they did today.

Top Bottom