Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
400km stages on a SS with wooden wheels. Good grief :ohmy:

Vidor06

Long term loafer
As part of the Belfast Giro celebrations Tim Moore did a book launch/reading of his new book in the Linenhall Library last Thursday lunchtime. He had the 100 year old, wooden wheeled bike with him and was dressed up in the garb he wore for the ride. I bought the book, but have yet to start it. However, if you have read any of his previous books, based on the readings he did, you will love this one too.
To top it off he seemed like a genuinely decent guy too.

screenman

Legendary Member
It is on my Kindle and the first page started, as others have said if it is like another one of his books I read then I am looking forward to it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He was on Radio 5's cycling programme last night.
he had to make his own brake blocks out of cork, as modern blocks would have killed his wooden wheels!

U

User482

I'm about 2/3 through it - and am greatly enjoying it. Those familiar with his previous works (in particular French Revolutions and Spanish Steps) will find similar here, but in addition to the amusing anecdotes, there is genuinely interesting information about the extreme difficulties experienced by pro riders back then.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
"...the hardest bike race in history. Eighty-one riders started and only eight finished, after enduring cataclysmic storms..."

Sounds like the 2014 Commonwealth Games...

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's in my "to read" queue.

The bike (and Tim) were on the Cycle Show last night. The bike was TT'd against a 1950's Cinelli and a modern Venge. Apparently it takes a while for the 1900's bike to stop.

U

User482

It's in my "to read" queue.

The bike (and Tim) were on the Cycle Show last night. The bike was TT'd against a 1950's Cinelli and a modern Venge. Apparently it takes a while for the 1900's bike to stop.

Excellent - I have it recorded.

I guess wine cork brake pads and wooden wheels don't make for rapid deceleration.

Tim Hall

My sister, bless her, gave me the book as a late birthday present. I'm yet to start it. I've got the Radio 4 reading of it, mentioned at the top of the thread, as a bunch of MP3 files.

I'm most of the way through it, bought after seeing him at a Q&A session in Edinburgh earlier in the year. Seems a nice enough chap but not as entertaining to read as eg. Ned Boulting or Michael Hutchison.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm most of the way through it, bought after seeing him at a Q&A session in Edinburgh earlier in the year. Seems a nice enough chap but not as entertaining to read as eg. Ned Boulting or Michael Hutchison.
Haven't started reading this one yet but I do like Tim Moore. "French Revolutions" remains one of the funniest books I've ever read so I'm hoping this one isn't changed too much by the addition of seriousness from the bike etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Got it for Christmas and have just finished reading it.

Fantastic book, laugh aloud at times, interesting descriptions of the hinterland of modern Italy, plenty of silly swearing. Well worth reading.

Top Bottom