Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
this is forth and last time . get up or you will miss the bus for school and you will have to walk . why does this conversation have to be the same one every day . can you not just get up the first time i ask you to .
form under a duvet , a sort of grunty type noise back and i am getting up , just stop annoying me will you .

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
@Turbo Rider - Just noticed the new Profile Picture, is that what you gestured towards your Missus after little'un said that you didn't brush his teeth well enough? ;)

Natural state of mind these days...started off with a happy face...then the polar opposites and arguments for the sake of it reduced me to the scream...but shrugging a bit and letting the rest of the world get on with what they want to seems the best thing of all...I am but an inconsequential compounded selection of magentised atoms...ommmmm

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, well after a 15 minute wait I got a helpful guy who sounded like he was from the Bolton area rather than a harassed call centre worker in Mumbai juggling 10 calls at once! He did some tests while I was talking to him and promised to sort it by tomorrow, which suits me. Right, the sun is shining - I'm out of here!
Well, that was last Wednesday and today is Monday ... The phone finally started working 5 minutes before the Openreach engineer booked by TalkTalk got here today! He looked up the fault report records and spoke to a couple of people and thinks that a TT engineer must have swapped in a new card in their rack at the local exchange. I think 5 days to fix the fault is pretty poor, but I can't be bothered to try and claim back the £5 or so that represents.

jhawk

Veteran
So, there's shops in town which have a no backpack policy. It pishes me off to no end. I go in there sometimes, wearing my backpack and nobody says a word. I go in there other times, wearing my backpack, and the manager comes up and asks me to leave it at the cash. I reluctantly agree, but there's a limit to my willingness to submit to that type of profiling. He's French, direct, and I'm convinced he doesn't like me very much.

"No backpack. Not allowed. Take it off."

"Excuse me?"

"No backpacks allowed. Take it off."

"Okay, that's not happening. I have a laptop in my bag (I did), and I'm not leaving that lying around at the cash register." He's a bit flummoxed. I'm beyond fuming. "Let's see, you're specifically profiling me because I'm of student-age, and have a backpack on, therefore I'm automatically assumed to be stealing things. You can watch me shop, that's fine - you do that anyway. But I will not take off this backpack, it has a laptop in it, you want to search it, that's fine, but it is not leaving my back. Do you ask every woman carrying a handbag to hand it over at the cash, or not enter the store with it? No? I thought not. You want to kick me out of your store, or phone the police and accuse me of theft? Go right ahead. I will make such a fuss and shut down your business so fast your head will spin."

He says nothing... "You've just lost a customer. Good day to you sir."

I leave in a foul mood. But am I wrong to confront him like that? I suppose it's his store and he can do whatever he likes. This is a small town and nobody cares. It just got on my nerves for far too long. Today, I guess I'd had enough.

perplexed

Guru
On a similar theme viz a viz handbags. Why do airliners stop blokes with hand luggage 1cm 'oversize', yet will let the next woman on with a handbag big enough to fit Equatorial Guinea in it? 'Because it's a handbag'?

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
At the Cheltenham Festival..... "£4.90 for a pint of Guinness ?!!!!!"

Ganymede

Veteran
Dear Old Deaf Demented Dad had an odd one yesterday.

Me: Hi Dad
DODDD: Hello my darling daughter
Me: I'm thinking of standing for the Parish Council, Dad
DODDD: What?
*I repeat and discuss briefly, ending with "so I might be a Parish Councillor*
DODDD (jovially): Well to think that I might be the uncle of a ... hang on, what would I be...
Me: The Dad of a parish councillor
DODDD (looks thunderstruck): No! what?! (incredulous) ... the Dad?!! Aren't I your ... uncle...?
Me: No Dad, you're my Dad
DODDD: What do you mean?! I'm not anybody's Dad!
Me: I came over on my funny bike today [my recumbent], it's beautiful out, have you been out today Dad?
(conversation continues more normally)

I've learnt it's best to just leave it when he gets like that - he starts to get upset and if you change the subject really firmly you steer away from choppy waters.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Dear Old Deaf Demented Dad had an odd one yesterday.

Me: Hi Dad
DODDD: Hello my darling daughter
Me: I'm thinking of standing for the Parish Council, Dad
DODDD: What?
*I repeat and discuss briefly, ending with "so I might be a Parish Councillor*
DODDD (jovially): Well to think that I might be the uncle of a ... hang on, what would I be...
Me: The Dad of a parish councillor
DODDD (looks thunderstruck): No! what?! (incredulous) ... the Dad?!! Aren't I your ... uncle...?
Me: No Dad, you're my Dad
DODDD: What do you mean?! I'm not anybody's Dad!
Me: I came over on my funny bike today [my recumbent], it's beautiful out, have you been out today Dad?
(conversation continues more normally)

I've learnt it's best to just leave it when he gets like that - he starts to get upset and if you change the subject really firmly you steer away from choppy waters.

It's kind of sweet, yet painful at the same time, isn't it? An ex of mine had a grandma who was suffering a bit. Was convinced I was her boyfriend from her youth and used to love it when I'd pick her up from her bed to put her in her wheelchair...would insist on having a little waltz. Like you say, it's best they enjoy themselves really. Stick in there :okay:

Ganymede

Veteran
It's kind of sweet, yet painful at the same time, isn't it? An ex of mine had a grandma who was suffering a bit. Was convinced I was her boyfriend from her youth and used to love it when I'd pick her up from her bed to put her in her wheelchair...would insist on having a little waltz. Like you say, it's best they enjoy themselves really. Stick in there :okay:
Cheers Turbo Rider. The rough with the smooth...

Ganymede

Veteran
@Ganymede I'm very impressed by the way you quickly move conversation away from topics which can only be upsetting for both of you. :bravo:

That is real care. :thumbsup: Excellent
Aww thanks Scoosh. I learned it partly from an excellent book called "Contented Dementia". Also my improvising skills - "accept and build" - from a life in the theatre have probably helped! And you have to learn not to hold on and be dogmatic - there are some things you can't get round but a lot of the time you just accept that what he says is his reality, then move with a vigorous leap onto a completely different, uncontroversial topic.

I have also learned that continually repeating myself doesn't hurt me, eg:

Dad: How many sheep have you got at the moment then?
Me: 6, Dad.
Dad: Ah.
A minute later
Dad: And how many sheep have you got right now?
Me: 6, Dad
2 minutes later
Dad: How many sheep have you got?
Me: 6, Dad.

I treat it like the chorus of a song, and don't alter my intonation. If I said: "SIX, Dad", and then "I've already told you Dad, SIX", ie if I escalated it, he would get hurt and uncomfortable. Whereas if I say "6, Dad" until he forgets to ask again, everything goes smoothly. In other words, it's not all about my side of the conversation!

Top Bottom