Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Grown man can't work out what to do about his dental problems and has to ask a bunch of strangers for advice about it. That's what they call a piss take, I believe!
Oh dear, I seem to have touched a raw nerve...

...or was that the dentist?:okay:

Sandra6

Veteran
@ColinJ I am exactly the same as you when it comes to the dentist - had a couple of very bad experiences as a child, didn't go for years, needed extensive and expensive treatment!!!
I think it's very brave of you to go, and to talk about it afterwards. For me, just talking about the dentist makes me anxious.
I actually used to walk the long way to school with the kids just to avoid walking past a dentists - it wasn't even our dentist!
People who don't get it wont' ever get it.
But I think you're doing really well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh dear, I seem to have touched a raw nerve...

...or was that the dentist?:okay:
You DID and fortunately he DIDN'T! (Or at least - if he DID, then there was enough anaesthetic in there for me not to feel it. :laugh:)

Being serious for a moment ... I am very well aware of the fact that somebody who is my age should be able to go and have dental treatment without making a big fuss about it, but the trauma of abuse can take a lot of time and effort to get over. Just look at the footballers recently admitting to what they went through when they were young. The abuse that I suffered was physical rather than sexual, but it was still extremely traumatic. (If you desperately want to know more, search for posts by me including the words 'knee' and 'dentist' and I am sure that you will find multiple references to what caused my problems with dental treatment!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ I am exactly the same as you when it comes to the dentist - had a couple of very bad experiences as a child, didn't go for years, needed extensive and expensive treatment!!!
I think it's very brave of you to go, and to talk about it afterwards. For me, just talking about the dentist makes me anxious.
I actually used to walk the long way to school with the kids just to avoid walking past a dentists - it wasn't even our dentist!
Thanks!

The local dentist I found is very patient and tolerant. I was trying to apologise to him today for messing him about but he said that he'd got it there in my case notes that fainting was a possibility, so it was not unexpected. (He actually called it vasovagal syncope - I think I will call it that in future, because it sounds much more macho than 'fainting' :okay:)

This private dental treatment IS costing quite a lot. It was £151 today. I think by the time I have got everything except for the one last broken tooth fixed, it will be about £750 spent. That final tooth could be extremely expensive because saving it will take a lot of work. I can't really afford to get that one done at the moment. I hope that I can save the money before it becomes critical.

Most of the damage to my teeth was done when I was a child so I am hoping that I can avoid the need for much more treatment once the current problems have been sorted out.

Anyway, to Sandra and all my other fellow dental-phobics - try and find a sympathetic, patient dentist and get your teeth sorted out before they get worse. Fillings are much less of a problem than extractions!

I was impressed by how much better dental surgeries are now than 40 or 50 years ago. I don't even see the drill now, whereas it was a horrible big clunky thing on a pedestal when I was a child and it was the first thing one saw upon entering the room.

Right, I am going to try to forget about dentists for the next 6 months!

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Drama Queen: (as soon as I walk in the door) Yammeryammeryammer!
Me: Shush!
DQ: (at a mile a minute) Poor Deluded Fool [her boyfriend] says he wants to buy me a ring for my 18th (she's 15 in 2 weeks)! But he might fall on one knee! He'd have to ask you first! What would you say?!
Me: Take her away now! Here's the car keys, it's full of fuel, Gretna is that way!

Lullabelle

Banana
Have you secretly been managing my team?! They sound identical to those I am dealing with at the moment. Do yours have an inability to make any decisions for themselves and think that you will sort cover for their tasks that need covering whilst they are off, rather than sorting that themselves before they ask for the time off?!

I am only responsible for sorting out their hours everything else is their responsibility along with the production manager but no, some of them can't organise themselves let alone their own team :wacko:

Lullabelle

Banana

One dentist I went to literally pinned me down, I was choking and could barely breath, 'nearly done' he kept saying, I nearly passed out from lack of oxygen. Awful man and I haven't been back since, I was an adult so I understand peoples fear. A few years back I had a broken tooth which had become infected so I went somewhere else, incompetant, butchered me to get the tooth out but didn't finish the job properly so had to go back in agony, he had left by then and I was seen by someone else who scowled about the other guys incompetance but took pitty on me being in so much pain, fixed me but didn't charge even though she every right to. I won't go unless I really really need to.

gavgav

Guru
"Oh dear, I think I am slipping away!"

"Ah, yes, you do look very pale. You are anxious and adrenaline is kicking in. Try to relax. We'll get you a sweet drink to get your blood sugar up."

I'm back and it all went ...

... pear-shaped for a while! :laugh:

Mistake #1: Reading your post about your experience!
Mistake #2: Staying up until 03:00, not sleeping properly thinking about the appointment, and then getting up at 07:30, knackered.
Mistake #3: Skipping breakfast because the appointment was at 08:50 and I didn't want to rush.
Mistake #4: Overdressing. I have a cold house. The dental surgery is very warm! I felt stifled.
Mistake #5: Getting involved in a long, detailed discussion with the dentist about another tooth before today's treatment. Anxiety levels built up.

Result: I eventually sat in the chair, put sunglasses on to avoid being dazzled by the bright lights, was tilted back and had the anaesthetic done. I immediately felt myself getting very whoozy! I knew that I would be out like a light if drastic action were not taken. I ended up 90% of the way into a faint, bucketing sweat, and barely able to talk. The dental nurse got me a glass of sugary OJ and gave me a glucose tablet to suck. It took about 15 minutes to get me fully back in the land of the living!

We decided to proceed after that. I felt much better once treatment got started. I could still feel a sensation round the tooth so I asked for more anaesthetic and that did the trick.

It WAS a complicated filling and took longer than usual, but it was ok. There was a hitch but it was resolved in the end.

The tooth is looking much better with a new white filling rather than a broken amalgam one and half the tooth missing. I just hope that the filling lasts. The dentist reckons that it stands a good chance of lasting 10-15 years and I would be happy with that.

I'm going back to see a dental hygienist in 3 months time to get the years of tea and coffee staining cleaned off. Another check-up in 6 months time and a decision to make about the last broken tooth. Treatment is possible, but it would be complicated and expensive. I'll probably put it off a while - it has lasted over 25 years so hopefully it could wait another year or two? If I can earn enough money to get it sorted out then I will.

I'm trying to drink a mug of tea now but it is proving difficult with half my mouth numb!
Glad all was well in the end!!

Sandra6

Veteran
8.30am, starting work at 9.
Me on phone to daughter - Where is the garage key?
Daughter - oh, is it in my pocket?
Me - is it?
Daughter- oh yeah, oops.
Me on phone to work - So, I'm going to be a bit late this morning.
:cursing:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD "I think I may have Portuguese ancestors. Do you think I could get a Portuguese passport so that I could stay an EU citizen?"

Me. "What makes you think you have Portuguese blood"

Mr WD " because of my name "

Me " dickhead isn't Portuguese ".

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'd caught and overtaken another cyclist on my way to work (I'm on the knockabout bike with lots of clobber in the panniers). He caught me again while I was stopped at the next junction and we had a brief chat culminating with:

Other rider: Do you club ride?

Me: (wondering where this is going) Err, no.

O.R.: You really ought to. Mid Shropshire Wheelers would love to see you!

Me: :blush:

Top Bottom