Giving blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm booked in to give blood this evening, the first time in years. It seems they have changed the rules since 2004 (it really could be that long) due to concerns about vCJD and if you've had a transfusion since 1980, you can't donate. Now, I had a back operation in 1993 and I have a vague recollection of them saying that I was given blood but I don't know for sure.

What do you think are my chances of my GP records saying anything (bearing in mind I've changed practice several times since then and I doubt there was much effective computerisation then) or the hospital still having a record?

I'd like to donate, but don't wish to waste an appointment that someone else could use

BigAl68

Über Member
Oh now that is news to me as I haven't been able to donate since they came up with the vCJD rule having had 30 plus pints when I was smashed to pieces by a car when I was a teenager. I will have to dust off my blue book and get along to the next session.

I miss giving blood and I think I am only 4 donations off my 25th award.

BigAl68

Über Member
@vickster I have just checked the guidelines here at the hospital I work in and the transfusion team tell me that if you had any blood post 01/01/1980 you are still banned from donating blood even if you are obviously well. They tell me they have had a number or people ask as it seems there was someone on daytime TV earlier in the week promoting the current drive to increase donors gave incorrect information.

I know people who have had blood tend to be more likely to give and yet we are excluded due to the very low possibility of carrying vCJD in our blood. I know this only applies to the UK and France and wonder if this rule will ever be lifted.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
No you can't donate if you've had blood since 1980. My problem is I don't know and was wondering whether I could find out.
Apologies for lack of clarity!

BigAl68

Über Member
You can only really check by contacting the hospital you have been treated at as they would have a record in your medical notes and also on their blood database if they are anything like here.

BigAl68

Über Member
Thanks. I'll try to call their medical records people when I get to work :-)

You are probably best contacting the department who treated you as they may also have a record and if not can call your notes and have a look. I hope you get good news as we need the blood especially here at my heart hospital.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cool I'll give orthopaedics a go :smile:
The surgeon is actually a family friend but I doubt he'd remember :biggrin:

I'm A- so a bit of a rarity :smile:

BigAl68

Über Member
Cool I'll give orthopaedics a go :smile:
The surgeon is actually a family friend but I doubt he'd remember :biggrin:

I'm A- so a bit of a rarity :smile:

Chances are with an ortho op you did have blood or plasma if it was a trauma based operation after an accident. If it was to sort out an existing problem then normally you wouldn't.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It was scheduled not trauma. But a big 6" incision and I just have this vague recollection of the surgeon saying they had to give me blood. It's daft as it was such a long time ago but I guess they can't test for vCJD nor take any chances :smile:

BigAl68

Über Member
I had my 4 metal plate and a dozen metal pins removed and a new hip put in last year to replace what they repaired 25 years ago and didn't have any blood products so who knows. I suppose the hospital will/should be able to tell you and good luck.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
No transfusion record at hospital so I shall be off to the leech service later :smile:

Though they won't want my platelets as I took ibuprofen last night

Levo-Lon

Guru
The rules around giving blood are frankly ridiculous. I know there's a review going on at the moment and they are likely to be completely overhauled in the near future.

The changes in the way that NHS Blood and Transplant operates has also impacted on the levels of donation. Again, these operational aspects are being reviewed.

As a gayer, I'm effectively barred from giving blood unless I opt for celibacy...

hope the powers that be see sense..
gay couple im freinds with would love to donate, ones nhs senior nurse and the other has his own vets..
so they would be aware of risk..

Top Bottom