Giving blood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
im giving tomorrow evening and have also said that I could do the platelets - trouble is, they never give me any decent information.

I may talk to them tomorrow evening about it.

@CarlP , 100 donations is pretty impressive. im looking forward to double figures being a late starter.

Thank you, to be clear, I have donated blood 43 times before I started platelets and I have donated platelets 52 times ( that's 52 visits) but your are awarded two points for each platelet visit. (three if you have a high platelet count, which I do not )

There's a comprehensive part of the Blood.co.uk website covering platelets http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/. You can be screened at normal donor centre but have to go to a special centre where they have the cell separation machines. There are 23 in the UK

thanks for the link.

I think the nearest to me is Luton IIRC. the lady at the blood place was almost trying to put me off as I remember. definitely need to chat to them about it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have found a photo HERE from my 50th donation, not the most flattering but you can see the machine you are hooked up to for about 70 minutes.

I don't know what other donation centres are like, but the JR is very modern, and they give you a basket of snacks to munch, like crisps, McVities Club and Penguin bars and other biscuits, some folks take them home if they don't eat them and as much tea/coffee/juice/water as you want.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
No you can't donate if you've had blood since 1980. My problem is I don't know and was wondering whether I could find out.
Apologies for lack of clarity!
From http://www.blood.co.uk/pdf/vcjd.pdf
(see 3rd line, esp)

On the 5th April 2004 we brought in a new precautionary rule for whole blood donors. Sadly we could no longer accept blood donations from people who have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure in the UK since 1st January 1980.

From the 2nd August 2004 we decided to extend this rule to include anyone who is unsure if they have had a transfusion since 1980.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
From http://www.blood.co.uk/pdf/vcjd.pdf
(see 3rd line, esp)

On the 5th April 2004 we brought in a new precautionary rule for whole blood donors. Sadly we could no longer accept blood donations from people who have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure in the UK since 1st January 1980.

From the 2nd August 2004 we decided to extend this rule to include anyone who is unsure if they have had a transfusion since 1980.
Before seeing the leeches, I contacted the hospital where I had the surgery done and the vampire lady at the blood bank confirmed that there was no transfusion record for me :smile:

I used to be on the "apheris panel", but not in the UK. I started when I came back from holiday in a malarial area - apparently it's not a good thing to give malaria to people so ill they need a blood transfusion. Malaria is killed by heat, but if you heat whole blood you get black pudding.

It was an ok process, much the same as normal donation but took twice as long. I have weird hard to find veins, can only successfully donate if I am over hydrated and am afraid of needles and I happily gave once a month. It's weird being attached to a machine and surrounded by people with bags that look like they are filled with urine.

It's not your A- they are after, blood type is in the red cells they aren't taking. It's probably some tasty antibody you have. Plasma is used for burn victims (the fluid under a blister is plasma, so burn victims weep the stuff), clotting factors, vaccinations (I was a rich source of tetanus) and for transfusions if there is no suitable full blood.

I'd say do it. You don't have to go as often as every fortnight.

classic33

Leg End Member
You mean like Henrietta Lacks?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
They called to confirm eligibility but was going into a meeting. Need to email my height, weight and any medications taken

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another tip. Try not to eat fatty foods two days before platelet donation, fat makes the stuff all cloudy.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Another tip. Try not to eat fatty foods two days before platelet donation, fat makes the stuff all cloudy.
That doesn't sound like much fun

I've had my own platelet rich plasma injected back into me to try to heal a knackered elbow tendon. Didn't work at all unfortunately and even though only a few mls it blo*dy hurt (excuse the pun)!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Sample being taken on 23rd July. Can't do immediately as have had a virus and need to be rid of the lingering cough before I can donate. Assuming I qualify, I guess first full donation will be sometime in August

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
So different from when I gave. We waltz up for our usual donation, travel was discussed and then we were immediately signed up for apheresis. May have given the first donation that day. Wonder why they can't use you previous donation for tests?
Maybe cos they've used it?

They need to determine whether I have enough suitable platelets (apparently 50% of people don't), the test process takes eight weeks (!!)

http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/can-i-donate/

My next donation isn't scheduled until Oct 1st, I then go to Asia at start Nov, so wanted to get some donations in before then if possible

I think the rules about blood donation generally have got far tighter in the last 10 years or so

Top Bottom