Glasses - lens colours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Just wondering what the best solution is for riding in evenings at the moment - particularly when you go from full sunlight to under the trees then full sun again, then trees ............. repeat frequently).

Tried my normal (dark lens) sunglasses which means I can't see the potholes when under the trees, but take the glasses off I can see the potholes and I get an eye full of midges.

Are some of the alternative lens colours (blue / yellow etc) any benefit in these conditions?

subaqua

What’s the point
Just wondering what the best solution is for riding in evenings at the moment - particularly when you go from full sunlight to under the trees then full sun again, then trees ............. repeat frequently).

Tried my normal (dark lens) sunglasses which means I can't see the potholes when under the trees, but take the glasses off I can see the potholes and I get an eye full of midges.

Are some of the alternative lens colours (blue / yellow etc) any benefit in these conditions?

do NOT wear amber in bright sunny conditions . they are designed to enhance light and are suited to lower light levels . we have a good Occ health system where I work and this got highlighted by one of the manufacturers when orders for amber increased in the summer months as somebody thought they would be great for reducing glare .

I wear prescription glasses and the bolle wraparound safety ones with a photochromatic (reactolite is the trade name for one manufacturer) worked really well for me until I went to varifocals but they don't work for me. funny how work stuff makes it way home.

Katherine

Guru
Search on here, there have been lots of threads about this. I think somewhere it says red is good for detail when in trees etc.

sight-pin

Veteran
Never tried them myself as i have prescription varifocal with reactolite, but Oakley seem to get good reviews.
Edit, 'Oakley Clear Black' have good reviews for rapid light to dark.

Last edited:

jnrmczip

If its light but no to sunny I go for yellow which I also use when it's dull. But never in sunshine as it hurt. I use the blue for sunny days or the multicolour which work well in both brightness and dull

martint235

Dog on a bike
do NOT wear amber in bright sunny conditions . they are designed to enhance light and are suited to lower light levels . we have a good Occ health system where I work and this got highlighted by one of the manufacturers when orders for amber increased in the summer months as somebody thought they would be great for reducing glare .

I wear prescription glasses and the bolle wraparound safety ones with a photochromatic (reactolite is the trade name for one manufacturer) worked really well for me until I went to varifocals but they don't work for me. funny how work stuff makes it way home.
I have amber ones that are photo-chromic, they work so well I haven't bothered using either the supplied clear or dark lenses so far.

Top Bottom