Gliding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks srw, but the die is cast. I was given a voucher for a trial lesson at Booker yesterday evening as a birthday present. I went up in a bi-plane from the same airfield a few years ago and was utterly terrified looking down on Marlow from an open cockpit that seemed to come up no higher than my hips. If the glider's like this one, I may have a spare voucher to auction..
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfIpDcvqhg
[/media]

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thanks srw, but the die is cast. I was given a voucher for a trial lesson at Booker yesterday evening as a birthday present. I went up in a bi-plane from the same airfield a few years ago and was utterly terrified looking down on Marlow from an open cockpit that seemed to come up no higher than my hips. If the glider's like this one, I may have a spare voucher to auction..
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfIpDcvqhg
[/media]

Isn't that a Ryanair flight then?

swansonj

Guru
Would I be right in saying that most clubs are largely part-time (flying maybe one weekday and both days weekends) and rely on volunteer members to instruct but a larger club like the one at Wycombe operates 7 days per week with full time instructors. Do students still have to help at launches at Booker or do they have staff for that?
To pursue the slightly forced cycling analogy: a club with staff is like a Sportif, where you drive to the start and the route is way marked, you don't even need to know where you are, there's a sag wagon and refreshments laid on and it's all professional. A traditional club with minimal staff is more like a DIY club like the Fridays where everyone mucks in with the support. And is much more fun.

Seriously, spending the rest of the day retrieving gliders that land upfield and pulling out winch cables makes the actual time aloft all the more satisfying.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I think @NotthatJasonKenny was having a gliding taster lesson fairly recently, but I've not seen him recently and he's not on here much these days either.

Sorry that's no help at all is it, I'll get my coat!

Not booked it yet, hopefully this month now I weigh less!

[QUOTE 3215947, member: 259"]Yes, ATC, got kicked out for lack of discipline and commitment. Fair play to them.[/QUOTE]
Like Mort in the ATC I did gliding - I did the glider pilots licence on a 1 week course. I was, when I qualified the youngest glider pilot in the UK. It was a Monday – Friday course, I had my 16th birthday on the Wednesday, I had my 3 solo flights and got my licence 2 days later on the Friday.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I got my p1 solo rating in 2003. Lack of brass stopped me getting my own aircraft. Would love to do it again when the money tree blossoms.

Best bit? Cranked over in a thermal climbing like a ferkin homesick angel with the vario screaming...beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.......

Reactions: TVC
Top Bottom