Gliding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
What is the irritating beeping though??

View: http://youtu.be/xmk6w_eQw8U

I think the beep goes higher when you go up, and goes lower when the glider sinks. A kind of TellyTubby noise. I think it's called a Vario.

Armchair glider pilot, me.:cry:

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The very best thing is this...they fly machines that can cost a bit of money but they wear beach hats and shorts....and obvious Oakleys seem absent. It is a solitary pleasure without need to impress.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The British Gliding Association website says that you can get to fly solo for an outlay of £500-£1000. I don't know what else is involved, but that looks like it's worth scrimping and saving for. None of us lives for ever.

And here I thought the £155 at Portmoak was bad enough, some of us don't can't work you know!!

I guess the price you give includes buying a share in a glider, etc??

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And here I thought the £155 at Portmoak was bad enough, some of us don't can't work you know!!

I guess the price you give includes buying a share in a glider, etc??
MDB, here is the British Gliding Association website.
http://www.gliding.co.uk/learningtoglide/faqs.htm

I know nothing about this! I soar over websites and Youtube clips. I might soar over Buckinghamshire in a state of utter terror some time in the next few months, once. If I'm lucky, I might return.

TVC

It seemed to indicate in one video I saw that it was for speed, but I'm probably mistaken there
No it tells you if you are rising or sinking, you can turn the audio off, but it is really helpfull.

I have this, an excellent gliding simulator if you can't get to the real thing.

http://www.condorsoaring.com/

L14M

Über Member
Yes, I'm 15 and solo. And I'm loving it.

Attachments

• IMG_5082537714091.jpeg
    IMG_5082537714091.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 16

L14M

Über Member
Honestly, I'd give it a go.

With regards to one shot to landing, glider airfields are long and wide for a reason. You have an undershoot if there is an object in the way, you could turn and land in another part of the airfield. Or overshoot and go over the object.

The highlight of my gliding so far has been a flight in a ash25eb28. Which is the largest glider in the UK with the same wingspan as a 737! In this flight I flew from near Luton to Wales and back.

L14M

Über Member
Th

That's why you do pre flight checks including double checking the canopy is closed and locked.

Also that beeping is the vario, it comes in 2 forms mechanical which is just a needle and electronic, the electronic beeps and has a dial. If in rising air, slow down and thermal and in sink speed up, which the sound gets lower pitched for. Also some have cruise modes so if flying through a weak thermal you slow down, don't stop but for a little while your not falling!

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Derelict thread alert!
I finally got round to using my trial flight voucher last Friday, a gloriously sunny early afternoon at Booker, High Wycombe. The newbie sits in front with the instructor behind. I was given a parachute and told how to get out of the seat harness in a hurry. "Then you just jump out and pull down on the big handle..." I was warming to this activity. We got an aerial tow up to 2000ft above High Wycombe and the instructor caught a thermal which we spiralled up on for a few hundred feet. We were quickly joined by a couple of other gliders that circled up with us. They seemed alarmingly close but it's quite normal I was told. I was given control of the stick for a few minutes but was pretty useless. It requires the minutest of movements to make the thing move about the sky. Take-off and landing were great fun too.
I can't recommend it too highly. Give it a go!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I was given a flight voucher for my 40th....It didn't go well.....imagine sliding down a set of stairs on a tin tray....having said that, our district scout group has a glider based at Sutton Bank and the kids have a whale of a time trying it out. On our last visit one of them managed 45 minutes flying time on the stick, having never flown before. (Dual control glider)

Top Bottom