Gloves . Do you always wear them for winter cycling, and what sort?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leightweight MTB full finger gloves from Decathlon usually do me commuting until it drops below zero, when either a pair of Aldi cycling gloves or NightVision ones are warm enough. Mitts in summer, but always full finger off road.

Always. Warm ones.

I always wear them in winter.
I developed a skin condition on my fingers back in October. I cannot be sure what the cause is, but I am suspecting it could be the Ski gauntlets that I have had for a long time.

It is easy to wash a pair of wool type or polyester gloves etc. Not quite as easy to wash the insides of gauntlets, and even harder to dry them - best to do it on a hot summer day.

Of course there could be a miriad things that can cause dermatitis 'type symptoms'. The bods connected to the GP practice are currently on the case.

I have stopped wearing the gauntlets, just in case.

I always wear long finger gloves regardless of the temperature but I've got chemo induced Reynaud's. My gloves will be occasionally chucked in a 30deg wash but I'm not over onerous there.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
In cold weather, a pair of budget Mountain Warehouse ski gloves. When it's not cold, a pair of budget track mitts that I bought a decade ago. I feel utterly naked riding a bike without palm protection. Tarmac planes the skin off your hands really well. If it does, you can kiss goodbye to having the use of your hands for about ten days.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I very rarely wear gloves.
Over the years, my hands seem to have become cold-tolerant, or my circulation has improved, and the gloves only come out when it's about zero, though they generally get put in the saddlebag when lower than 5° is forecast.

Gwylan

Veteran
I wear gloves because if I come off the grazes will hurt, bleed and hang around for ages.
I have Seakskinz for the weather when I really ought to stay at home
Some gloves with armoured palms and so on. They also work on the touch screen. And when you fall off.
A pair of "German store" skiing gloves for the really cold, but dry weather.
Then some ex military Goretex over mittens for the extreme. Really left over from sailing, but they do keep you dry.
Just in case I have some pairs of silk gloves to wear as an extra layer with any of the above.

Never feel comfortable cycling without gloves, whatever the weather.

I always wear a full-finger glove. My hands get sweaty when I'm riding and I hate the feeling of sticky grips/bar tape. I've tried wearing mitts in summer but I still prefer the full-finger.

I've always worn cheap gloves from Wilko and they've done me fine. But my latest pair are wearing out and for obvious reasons I can't get a direct replacement (they'd stopped stocking this kind some time before their demise anyway). They don't need to be padded/insulated; I'm just looking for a relatively thin full-finger glove, preferably with a velcro cuff.
I always liked Wilkos for stuff. A few known stores have took stock on from Wilko. I was told 'The range' store and B&M are 2 that come to mind. I don't think it is the case in in every town though.

scragend

I always liked Wilkos for stuff. A few known stores have took stock on from Wilko. I was told 'The range' store and B&M are 2 that come to mind. I don't think it is the case in in every town though.

Thanks. The Range local to me does have a small amount of Wilko stuff, but it's very sporadic and I don't think I've ever seen any cycling stuff in there at all.

As I understand it B&M bought some of the Wilko stores but they aren't stocking Wilko products - The Range bought the brand.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
"Gloves . Do you always wear them for winter cycling, and what sort?"

Yes!

I had some long-fingered 'Thinsulate' gloves which were pretty warm but I inadvertently left those on a train down to Exeter last February.

I got Amazon Prime to quickly deliver another pair of cheapo long-fingered gloves in time for a ride that I had arranged for a few days later. I did a 30 minute ride in those gloves today and came back with very cold digits! They are really more suitable for cool spring/autumn rides than cold winter ones.

I have a pair of 'lobster claw' gloves which are warm enough for most chilly conditions, and loose enough to wear glove liners underneath on really cold days. I think that I will be wearing those on rides under 7 or 8 degrees from now on! (The only problem is that they are a bit fiddly for gear changing but I am riding singlespeed most of the time in the winter so that isn't a big problem.)

Top Bottom