Go on, admit, who is both a 4x4 owner and a cyclist ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Often rightly portrayed as natural enemies, who has a foot in both camps ? I do, as an owner of what would be described as a big ass German 4x4 and a couple of bikes. But I like to think my experience as a road cyclist informs my approach when driving. The advantage is that when I slow down, give way, allow space and generally treat cyclists with due caution, other car drivers cannot push me around !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does it go off road though, you know, like up curbs ;)?

Drago

Legendary Member
Me.

My own personal cars (as opposed to the Wife's motors) are always Fourbies. So what? It does go regularly off road to at least a minor degree (more than a Mondeo would manage) for my Search and Rescue work.

Being that I am a cyclist I only drive about 3,000 miles a year, so my filthy Earth-raping, nun-murdering, orphan-torturing, puppy-destroying 4x4 accounts for much less emissions than someone in a Nissan Leaf doing a more typical 10-12,000 annual miles.

Typically Fourbie insurance is also lower than conventional saloons or hatches of similar value - Seeing as insurers base their fees on "risk", by their reckoning we're presenting less of a risk to life, limb and property than drivers of normal cars (such drivers are called"Normies")

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is the BMW X series, Audi Q series, have virtually no off road or snow capacity. It's the automotive equivalent of Clark Kent dressing up as Superman. I don't have a problem if that's what people fancy, I just can't see the point.

But in the age old mantra of cyclists, what's that got to do with me? I'm not responsible for anyone else who drives a similar car to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
But in the age old mantra of cyclists, what's that got to do with me? I'm not responsible for anyone else who drives a similar car to me.

Says the man who's berating "taxi drivers" in another thread for their road behaviour!

Aparrently, if you drive really nicely this will rub off on other Audi/BWM drivers who will follow suit. After some period of time, everyone else will forget they used to hate you. Something like that, maybe.
Not at all. But I drive a 4x4 and a fast convertible. Care to make any assertions about how I drive based on nothing other than group responsibility from other drivers of similar cars?

Top Bottom