Gonna give the clips up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
Do you mean spd or spd-sl type, or cages?
And why don't you like them?

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

I have difficulty in un-clipping from them. I have them set light and can't turn my foot far enough to unclip. It's the same both sides as knee injuries have seen me off.

Mick

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have difficulty in un-clipping from them. I have them set light and can't turn my foot far enough to unclip. It's the same both sides as knee injuries have seen me off.

Mick

I favour old 70s/80s type touring & narrower roadie type pedals, good grippy tines in a range of Footwear, all mine have proven reliable and spinny without intervention and I've never paid more than a couple of quid from a bike jumble for any.
You could consider toeclips with/out straps if you feel the need to feel more connected to the bike but not cleated.

broady

Veteran
Spd-sl's are harder than spd's imo.
If it was me I would go for either spd's (if your shoes take the cleats) or toe clips.
Plain flats are alright for flat rides (again imo before someone shoots me down)

OP
OP
Wetdog

Wetdog

Cheers Broady, so what are spd's?
Fairly new and know nowt, thicker than custard :wacko:
You wouldn't recommend flats then, I'm no Chris Froome so just do the gentle stuff at the mo.

Anymore got reccomendations

On the pic of my shoe, take no notice of the nail varnish. It's not me, honest

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
SPDs are also much easier to walk in. I can't see much need for anything else except for pros.

Yeh, but SPD pedals look like miniature bear / man traps and that gives me the willies. I literally have no mechanical understanding of what all those innards do.
A look pedal is a thing of beauty and simplicity. :-)

Mandragora

I have SPD's and a knackered knee. I struggle to get my foot out too. The other foot's fine, but I'm still quite a newby at this and also a wuss. In the end I've settled for the pedals which are cleats one side and flats the other. In reality what that means is mostly flats and a lot of procrastination.

Top Bottom