Goosebump moments from films...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The ending of The Long Good Friday ... If you haven't watched the film yet - do. If you have, here is a reminder ...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's a scene in a Steve Martin film when the girl he loves describes her ideal man and Martin thinks it's him then realises it's his friend. Martin doesn't react much at all but you can tell his heart's broken. It's in Roxanne.

Spoiler alert: Cyrano de Bergerac

the final scene of the original where Cyrano reads aloud the poetry supposedly written to Roxanne's by now dead suitor. As it gets dark Cyrano somehow recites on and Roxanne suddenly realises that Cyrano had written all the letters himself, on his friend's behalf. Outstanding film. Depardue is superb, portraying an extovert braggart who is also impossibly shy unable to declare his love of Roxanne. Even the English subtitles are in rhyming couplets - translated into poetry by Anthony Burgess of Clockwork Orange fame

Steve Martin can do pathos terribly well, I caught Parenthood last night. a great film that stands up to repeat viewings and isn't remotely dated. Parenthood's quite stagey, it's a series of vignettes really but no less brilliant for that. Some say Ron Howard is a by-the-numbers director, he just points the camera and lets the actors do the job, apart from slightly daft directorial flourishes like in Rush when he cuts from a sex scene to a close up of a racing engine, pistons glistening and ramming home in their silky sleeves OK WE GET IT.

midlife

Guru
Here's a rather bad quality clip from the end of Breaker Morant, a not well known film about the Boer War from an Australian perspective. The film is excellent.
[media]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7KJnRlsS4
[/media]

I want to the Royal premiere of that film in Leicester Square, it's the only royal premiere I've been to and when I occasionally tell people about Breaker Morant they have never heard of the film :sad:

Glad someone else has seen it LOL

Shaun

"Daddy, my daddy!"
Agreed, even now, at the age of 50, as I think about it, a tear wells up
Granted it's got to be the original Jenny Agutter scene, it doesn't work for me with the remake (on the Bluebell Railway)

Plus, I watched 'Goodbye Farewell & Amen' last night, the last ever episode of M*A*S*H, & that had some tear-jerker moments

I watched it religiously every night I could, when it was broadcast here in the 70's/80's

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru

TwoPosts

Okay here's two

Just awesome......

ridiculously sentimental, and a cartoon to boot, I can shake off bambi's mum dying no problem but this one......how sad am I

Peter

Top Bottom