GPS computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
i've decided to invest in a cycle gps for my bike. Can anyone tell me if the garmin edge touring is a good buy so I can follow routes. And also follow other people's routes from friends. Or clubs? I'm due to treat myself to a new bike now I'm crunching the miles away and want to have a decent gps that doesn't break the bank

All the edge units do that its just down to how much you want to pay for the quality of mapping and sensors.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got an Edge 810 and we get on fine. Battery lasts all day (still showing 38% after a 9 hour ride) and they're easily attached to a powerbank if you need more juice.
Don't pay for the maps though, you can download maps free by following these instructions https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

In fact the only thing that grinds my beans about them is that you don't get an out front mount included when you buy one and they're ridiculously expensive for what is essentially a piece of moulded plastic.

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
I've got an Edge 810 and we get on fine. Battery lasts all day (still showing 38% after a 9 hour ride) and they're easily attached to a powerbank if you need more juice.
Don't pay for the maps though, you can download maps free by following these instructions https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

In fact the only thing that grinds my beans about them is that you don't get an out front mount included when you buy one and they're ridiculously expensive for what is essentially a piece of moulded plastic.
I'll have a look at the 810. Thanks

dim

rather look at the 820 .... it's getting rave reviews

I will be buying the Edge 1000 performance pack on friday when I get paid .... the screen is large (I'm old now so need a bigger screen), plus it has a few features that I like, such as putting in a postcode and it will get you there, it will reroute you if you take a wrong turn or if the road is blocked due to an accident etc .... you can download any strava segment done by someone else (or yourself), and you can then race against the downloaded time, you can ask the 1000 to create 3 random courses based on mileage required, and it will display the 3 routes/courses showing elevation difference etc etc

The 1000 still has a few bugs, and the battery life is not as good as the 820, but they are fixing the bugs, and if I need to cycle for more than 8hrs, I will take a battery pack with

PK99

Legendary Member
i've decided to invest in a cycle gps for my bike. Can anyone tell me if the garmin edge touring is a good buy so I can follow routes. And also follow other people's routes from friends. Or clubs? I'm due to treat myself to a new bike now I'm crunching the miles away and want to have a decent gps that doesn't break the bank

I have the 800 and Mrs PK the Touring.

Depends what you want.

Straight forward navigation and route following + Heartrate = the touring is more that adequate

Training aid (cadence, power, and stuff) = pay the extra for the current top of the range.

If I were buying now it would be the touring.

dim

I have the 800 and Mrs PK the Touring.

Depends what you want.

Straight forward navigation and route following + Heartrate = the touring is more that adequate

Training aid (cadence, power, and stuff) = pay the extra for the current top of the range.

If I were buying now it would be the touring.

there's not much price difference between the touring models and the top of the range models that have all the features (check sites like Wiggle for prices)

Top Bottom